Spring Specific Seed For Food Plots

/ Spring Specific Seed For Food Plots #1  

jeff9366

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 3,700 pounds bare tractor, 5,400 pounds operating weight, 37 horsepower
HELP: Spring Specific Seed For Food Plots

We are having a very warm winter in North-Central Florida. Temps have been in the mid-70's almost every afternoon; 25 degrees above normal. Normally we consider February our coldest month and January second coldest. Last frost date is normally March 15th. Not this year; we have experienced perhaps three light frosts since December. Everything is budding out. It appears Spring will arrive early. Heck, Spring may have arrived already.

(( But then.....February is the cruelest month.....))

Last Fall I planted ANTLER KING RED ZONE SEED MIX, ordered from amazon.com. Could not get the land prepared until October, then seeded but had no rain until December...at which time every seed germinated. I would consider my first effort moderately successful. I did not fertilize.

I want to seed for Spring in mid-to-late February assuming it continues warm.

How about recommendations for Spring Food Plot seeds? There are multiple choices for Fall; I have seen only one mix labelled for Spring planting.

I have two acres available, split up in several plots within the 40 acre common area of a 200 acre residential development with scant thirty homes at present. Most plot land has full sun, some ground has high open shade under hardwoods. Zone 8-B.

I am primarily interested in attracting deer but birds welcome too.

I have a Ratchet Rake on the FEL, a KK Rotary Harrow and an ETA Cultipacker.

Last edited:
   / Spring Specific Seed For Food Plots #2  
Re: HELP: Spring Specific Seed For Food Plots

Jeff, Look here
SS-AGR-30/AG140: 2010 Wildlife Forages for North Florida - Part I: Cool Season Food Plots This is for your area and surprisingly close to our area (Texas) as well as far as recommended seed. Arrowleaf clover, peas and beans are good, but most any combination on that list will do great. Scroll down for the recommended Spring seed, the 1st portion is mostly native plants/brush and trees deer like in your area.

/ Spring Specific Seed For Food Plots
Both good suggestions. However I want to try a food plot seed mix especially for Spring/Summer. I know they are out there.

I may be a little early....Spring 2013 mixes may still be in preparation at the seed companies.

Eagle's web site is difficult to navigate.

/ Spring Specific Seed For Food Plots #5  
Jeff,
sorry I guess I misunderstood, you want a pre- mixed bag? If so a local seed Co. would be your best bet. I have tried several kinds of pre-mixed seed ordered online and have found seed locally grown, or climate conditioned for my specific area to perform much better. I have also learned that I can mix my own seed with exactly what I want with better results. Another problem with pre-mixed, is seed size can very and each seed requires a certain planting depth, so you can see planting "mix", can make it difficult to get all the seed in the right "spot". Planting depth is probably one of the biggest reasons for crop failure.

You may try Tecomate Tecomate - The Big Buck Professionals - Your Source for All Things Whitetail, I have had fair results from some of their seed.

The link I posted 1st, has super recommendations for Springtime seed types, those would be the ingredients I would look for in a pre-mix type bag.

Anyway sorry I couldn't help you more

WESTERN: Your two posts have been a BIG help. Thank you.

I have printed out information provided in the Link.

Tecomate has a number of blends described as WARM SEASON, which is what I am seeking.

I will see what other suggestions crop up in the next 2-3 weeks, then order.

Thanks, again.

Last edited:
Last edited:
   / Spring Specific Seed For Food Plots #8  
Jeff, that should do you real well, nothing better than buying seed that is known to grow in your area. The mixes are pretty good. Are you doing 2 plots or going to top dress the 50# mix with the no-till?.

Only problem with mixes as I mentioned before, different seed sizes need different planting depths. The cow peas can be up to 1" deep, but millet needs a quarter or less. That is where problems start and also why many recommend "over-seeding" many times. You should still get a good stand if you get a good seedbed made and just watch the planting depth, that is probably why most plots fail (planting depth).

I bet your ready to plant now! good luck and let us know how it goes.

Oh BTW, the sorghum/milo will need to "head-out" before the deer will really eat them, they like the mature seed heads.

Jeff,
A local seed Co. would be your best bet. I have tried several kinds of pre-mixed seed ordered online and have found seed locally grown, or climate conditioned for my specific area to perform much better.

I purchased from Hancock Seed Company, here in Florida, on your recommendation to go local.

I will use HANCOCK'S NO TILL MIX to overseed area I planted with the ANTLER KING RED ZONE SEED MIX last October, which germinated in December.

I plan to use the SPRING & SUMMER MIX in several areas where I 'hogged wild grape, Smilax and Multiflora vines then did my best to remove vine roots with box blade rippers and/or Ratchet Rake on the bucket. Bare earth at present. Returning vines will get Glycophosphate treatment(s).

I will sow SPRING & SUMMER MIX over bare earth, then press seed in with my ETA Cultipacker. Unless Hancock's recommends otherwise I do NOT plan to harrow dirt over seeds.

I will post germination information and photos in a month or so, depending on rain.

Native Flatwood plums are in blossom, usually an indication hard frosts are over. I should be completely frost safe planting in ten days. Need to seed early as we have a long Spring dry period with unpredictable onset.

Attachments

• IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
   / Spring Specific Seed For Food Plots #10  
I think you will do much better with that seed, just wanted to point out the care needed when you plant it, easy to go to deep. I usually drag mine in, especially using different size seed like you will have (which is most of the time for me too). Some large seed are shallow, but I over seed and it does very well.

Having a cultipacker is great for small seed, sounds like you have a plan

You will get a good head start on us, by a few weeks anyway