When to Fertilize?

/ When to Fertilize?
Thanks everyone.

In my last soil report, they said that I needed one tone of lime per acre, which is low for my area. Two tons per acre is more common and what my neighbor was told to add to his for his hay fields to get going. We are thick with pine trees, red clay and acidic soil, so the lime is big deal. I haven't picked up the bags to have it analized yet, but will do that before I do anything. I know it takes awhile for the lime to work, but wasn't sure about the fertilizer. My main goal is for hunting season, but I like the idea of doing a spring food plot just to keep the animals around and to add some color to the area with flowers.

Eddie

/ When to Fertilize? #12  
Last two years, I've been lucky enough to have my cousin bring me a couple yards of dry chicken litter and spread over my food plots. Soil is poor and lots of clay. The chicken litter has made a remarkable difference, and I've never seen Rye wheat so green! Nice to have a chicken farmer in the family!

/ When to Fertilize? #13  
Eddie, if you are in a drought area you should consult with the local extension (ag) agent because recommended soil amenities can be vastly different when the grass or plants are under stress.

/ When to Fertilize? #14  
Thanks everyone.

In my last soil report, they said that I needed one tone of lime per acre, which is low for my area. Two tons per acre is more common and what my neighbor was told to add to his for his hay fields to get going. We are thick with pine trees, red clay and acidic soil, so the lime is big deal. I haven't picked up the bags to have it analized yet, but will do that before I do anything. I know it takes awhile for the lime to work, but wasn't sure about the fertilizer. My main goal is for hunting season, but I like the idea of doing a spring food plot just to keep the animals around and to add some color to the area with flowers.

Eddie
Eddie you discribed the ground we have here sandy loomy and some clay. they recomend the same for our land most time 2 tons per acre for hay but we have allway's said you cannot put to much lime on our ground the more the better.we have been planting food plot's for deer for years and they don't seem to care anythig about them till the fall when it start's cooling off we have tried all these product's from these hunting show' and it all has same out come the thing about the deer in our area it don't matter what you plant when the acorn's start falling in setember thats where the deer are gonna be. if there is no acorn's then go to the apple's. we have found that no matter what you put out ther they will bipass to get to those 2 things.

/ When to Fertilize? #15  
Eddie you discribed the ground we have here sandy loomy and some clay. they recomend the same for our land most time 2 tons per acre for hay but we have allway's said you cannot put to much lime on our ground the more the better.we have been planting food plot's for deer for years and they don't seem to care anythig about them till the fall when it start's cooling off we have tried all these product's from these hunting show' and it all has same out come the thing about the deer in our area it don't matter what you plant when the acorn's start falling in setember thats where the deer are gonna be. if there is no acorn's then go to the apple's. we have found that no matter what you put out ther they will bipass to get to those 2 things.
It is hard to beat a bearing apple tree as a deer attractant but they don't bear every year , and if you plant some oak trees tomorrow your grandson might catch a deer eating some acorns off the ground under them the year 2035 but that won't help you much. I think some alfalfa clover mix planted around some apple trees might get some deer in range more years then not. I haven't done that yet so can't say for sure but will be trying that out shortly.

/ When to Fertilize? #16  
The Whitetail Institute has a lot of good information on planting spring food plots. The best that I have read. Their site has a lot of advertisements for their products but if you search through to the planting instructions they are very detailed and step by step.

/ When to Fertilize? #17  
I don't know what all you get from the reports (from samples) but FWIW...you can get PH+ meters that work quite well for acidity...I got one off e-bay but I have seen them in the local feed store for as little as $15...

I started mass planting of wild flowers last hear and had great results (mostly cosmos and zinnias)...I bought the seeds in bulk from 'Eden bros' and I think just about every seed germinated...

good luck...

/ When to Fertilize? #18  
I sent a soil sample to Whitetail Institute. The report told me how much lime I needed and the proper blend of fertilizer and how much of this fertilizer blend to use. I planted clover (not Whitetail Institute clover) and the crop far exceeded my expectations.

/ When to Fertilize? #19  
Eddie

Not sure how many acres you plan on fertilizing, but you might want to speak with your local farming co-op. Things have gotten pretty hi tech in the fertilizing area. Grid sampling and variable rate fertilizer application. It applies exactly what your field needs in any given location. Remember that too much fertilizer is as bad as not enough.

I have attached a pamphlet from our local MFA that shows what they are capable of providing.

http://www.rivervalleymfa.com/images/E0011501/nutrientpromobook.pdf

If you are only planning on an acre or two I am sure this wouldn't be feasible (having the co-op spread your fertilizer.).

/ When to Fertilize? #20  
Its still too early to plant anything for the spring, but I'm wondering if now would be a good time to spread ferilizer and let it soak into the ground? Same thing with some ag lime.

I have a soil report from a few years ago, so I'm going to pick up another sample bag from my extension and send it off real soon so I can see what I need. I'll also ask them there, but I've found that the ladies in the office don't know and the guys who do, are never in the office.

I usually do it when I disk and plant my spring food plot with the thought that it will be good for the fall. I'm not sure what I'm going to plant, but I'm going to add a bunch of wildflowers to the mix so I can get some pictures of them when they bloom.

Any thoughts?

Eddie

The potash and phosphate and any needed lime could be put on about anytime now. Hold off until the very last on the nitrogen. Ken Sweet