food plots

/ food plots #1  

Tractor
koyote
roto tiller or disc harrow for food plots

/ food plots #2  
Welcome to TBN.

That's not a lot of info to go on, but I think the answer would be either. There are a lot of guys who use what they have and make do. Food plot seeds tend to be fairly forgiving so in a lot of cases they don't need a nice fluffed dirt bed like a tiller would give you, and do just fine with the end product of disks.

If you do a search for "food plot" on here, there may be some additional ideas you can read about.

/ food plots #3  
:welcome: to TBN

Message posted with TractorByNet v1.6.2 for iPad

/ food plots #4  
:welcome:

/ food plots #7  
Welcome If the ground is clear both would work but if there are stumps ect. I would vote for the disc.

/ food plots #8  
What type of seed? For brassicas and soybeans you need a deeper seed bed. Brassicas like turnips need deeper soil to grow they don't need to be panted deep. Soybeans need to be planted about 1/2" deep or so. Rye and forage oats don't need the depth for planting or growth.

With all of that, the better the seed bed the better chance for germination. Personally, I prefer th rotary tiller after spraying the area with a herbicide. That way I can plant whatever I want and be sure to have a good seed bed.

/ food plots #9  
It really all depends on what you want to do. If you're looking to go deep and really break up any compaction in the soil, a plow and disc will go much deeper than a rotary tiller. The rotary tiller will give you more "fluff" with just a single pass than a plow or disc will though. Each has pros and cons. I currently have a single moldboard plow and 6' disc and have had really good luck. Using the disc and being creative with the top link, you can even make some raised rows etc.

/ food plots #10  
2350- We really need some more info. Where are you located? I assume you are wanting to plant a food plot this spring? No matter where you live you should get a soil sample the very first thing- otherwise you will be wasting your time, please read this last sentence again because it is that important! I am in my 10th year of food plots and I have learned more than a few things along the way. Clover is the least work involved and it still requires a soil sample to get it to grow.

Oldstuff