Local Sanctuary

/ Local Sanctuary #11  
I've seen them in 5 gal. bucket with a "flapper" like that, a friend of mine bought one back in the late 80's, had hard time keeping it filled it was so small.

/ Local Sanctuary
I made some out of 5 gal plastic buckets, but they do not last as long. One more note, the tie for the rope can also be a pvc pipe. Cut holes in both sides at top bucket, slide in piece of pvc, place elbows or something on the end of pvc.

And I am not sure how well this would work in remote areas that were not visited often, because there is a limit to amount of corn the bucket will hold. My trash can will hold 50 lbs, however.

/ Local Sanctuary #13  
Saves having to refill every few days! I bet you could do the same thing with a 55 gallon drum. Do you have B bear there where you are?? Just wondering, they can be quite destructive.

/ Local Sanctuary
Saves having to refill every few days! I bet you could do the same thing with a 55 gallon drum. Do you have B bear there where you are?? Just wondering, they can be quite destructive.

Do not have bears in the area, but I have been amazed at what raccoons can do to a bucket.

/ Local Sanctuary
THEY'RE BACK
This time I threw out some corn in the woods near my house, I thought for the turkeys. I threw out a half bucket full among the leaves, next day it was gone. Threw out some more, same story. So I put the camera on the spot to see who was eating it. Here are the results

PICT0134_zps3f02d3f3.jpg

PICT0387_zpsd98bb86c.jpg

PICT0389_zps035afa13.jpg

/ Local Sanctuary #16  
Do the deer not shed antlers in the winter down there?

/ Local Sanctuary #17  
Nice pictures....thanks for sharing.:thumbsup:

/ Local Sanctuary
Do the deer not shed antlers in the winter down there?

Yes, they do shed. One of the pictures earlier in the thread showed one that had lost one side. I googled the timeframe for Alabama and several sites indicated well into March before they shed. As a matter of fact, Alabama Conservation Dept is considering extending hunting season on into February for some counties in south Alabama because they have scientific evidence that the rut in some areas extend well into February.