Local Sanctuary

/ Local Sanctuary #1  

lakngulf

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30
I am fortunate to live next door to 1600 undeveloped acres on the Lake. My next door neighbor to the east is a 10 minute boat ride. I have a corn bucket next to my house to give the deer a quick snack and some safety. These guys showed up recently

PICT0059_zps9ddb4b82.jpg

PICT032_zps6bfc8bc4.jpg

This one has already lost one side

PICT0128_zps5cb27837.jpg

/ Local Sanctuary #2  
Nice body on those deer! Never seen a feed "bucket" like that either.

/ Local Sanctuary #3  
Nor have I ever seen a feeder like this. How does it work?

/ Local Sanctuary
Nor have I ever seen a feeder like this. How does it work?

Hole in bottom of bucket is slightly larger than the rope. Rope is attached to a board at top of bucket. When deer shake the rope, the corn falls out. Or when it is really windy the corn will fall out. I have had this particular one (which is actually a metal trash can) for 10 - 12 years.

/ Local Sanctuary
Nice body on those deer! Never seen a feed "bucket" like that either.

Our deer in Alabama do not typically have big bodies, just normal. I thought these were larger than I have seen in the area. Maybe they are just full of corn.

/ Local Sanctuary #7  
Hole in bottom of bucket is slightly larger than the rope. Rope is attached to a board at top of bucket. When deer shake the rope, the corn falls out. Or when it is really windy the corn will fall out. I have had this particular one (which is actually a metal trash can) for 10 - 12 years.

Thanks, learned something new (again) today. How'd you teach the deer to shake the rope?

/ Local Sanctuary
Thanks, learned something new (again) today. How'd you teach the deer to shake the rope?

It is fun to watch how different deer will get the corn to fall. Check this out:

PICT0263_zpsfdd9822d.jpg

PICT0271_zps945fb50d.jpg

Some deer actually bite the rope and swing it, others stick their mouth right at the hole in the bucket.

/ Local Sanctuary #9  
yeah thats neet i will be trying the trash can deal, i;m surprized they still got ther horns this late nice pics

/ Local Sanctuary
yeah thats neet i will be trying the trash can deal, i;m surprized they still got ther horns this late nice pics

The 2x4 board is right at the top of the can, held there with screws from outside in.
The rope has to be replaced often. The squirrels and racoons fray it in a hurry
When I buy new rope, I get extra and wrap a good bit around the 2x4. When the current rope has a frayed end, I just cut it off, and unroll some from board.