How to prepare a plot?

/ How to prepare a plot? #12  
This may not be an option for you but if you can get access to an old drill they work great for over seeding in pasture...
I've done this several times in my yard very successfully...

/ How to prepare a plot?
I would love to get like a 4' drill, but there's none around:thumbdown:

That would just be to easy:cool2:

/ How to prepare a plot? #14  
In Florida, if I seed when the ground is warm enough for the seed selected and rain is in the forecast, then cultipack, the plot seed germinates pretty much all at once and crowds out the native weeds, at least the later germinating weeds. Timing and moisture is everything.

My 2013 plots, with two seed mixes, have all germinated.

Last edited:
   / How to prepare a plot?
In Florida, if I seed when the ground is warm enough for the seed selected and rain is in the forecast, then cultipack, the plot seed germinates pretty much all at once and crowds out the native weeds. Timing is everything.

My 2013 plots, with two seed mixes, have all germinated.

What do you use to seed?

/ How to prepare a plot? #16  
I cast plot mix by hand. It is a kind of semi-religious experience.

I only have about two+ acres of food plots, in several irregular patches. Sowing by hand works fine.

Soil is shallow prepped with a Howse 16/18 disc harrow, discs nearly straight for minimum disruption, seed mix is cast, then cultipacked.

Occasionally I overseed Fall plantiing with NO TILL mix in the Spring. Generally I scratch NO TILL in with my Rotary Harrow. NO TILL does not seem to need more attention. The NO TILL wants to be perennial but it gets disced under before I plant grain/brassica mix in September. Soil here is sandy-loam, more sand, a low challenge to disc.

http://www.hancockseed.com/seed-var...no-till-food-plot-seed-mix-25-lb-bag-541.html

/ How to prepare a plot? #17  
I suggest skipping the harrow for cereal plots. Disc, seed, fertilize, pack. Use RR seed and you can spray after germination.

Edit: RR = Roundup Ready

Last edited:
   / How to prepare a plot? #18  
I'm following this thread with some interest because I want to start making food plots. But I seem to remember in other threads they often suggested to plow first.

Is that not needed?

I was planning on plowing, discing, harrowing etc. for "cleared" ground - cutover with stumps removed.

/ How to prepare a plot? #19  
Now that "no till" is the norm far fewer tractor owners have turning plows. I have not seen a field "turned" in Northern Florida in 10+ years.....but there are a plethora of heavy disc harrows used. Our field crops are hay, watermelons and peanuts.

I think most plotters do soil prep with a tractor 3-Pt./lift disc harrow.

You do not need the soil as finely prepared in a plot as you would in a field.

Cursor down the Food Plot posts, there are eight pages of threads with good information.

/ How to prepare a plot? #20  
Newbury, plowing isn't usually required for grains/grasses/clover. Brassicas, corn, and beans will do better with a deeper seed bed. You really only need 3 or 4 inches at the most in any case as long as you aren't working with hard pan . A disc will get you there in a few passes. The better the seed bed the better chance your seed has for proper soil to seed contact.