Two plots in one to go!

/ Two plots in one to go! #1  

Ted Summey

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100F IH McCormick Farmall 140, Massey Ferguson 135
I've had a good couple of weeks to get my food plots in around turkey hunting, work, lawn care and gardening.

My hunting partner and I got one plot in two weeks ago with good results. We put the electric fence up Saturday. Today I took the day off to have the Internet guy fix our connection. After he was gone I put in the big plot.

I am planting Roundup Ready forage soybeans. Last year they grew over 6 FEET tall. We had a good bow hunting season because the deer started using the plot early August. We let the fence down then. I got two big eights the first week.

The first three pics are today and the green stripe is last year's plot in July. It is a panoramic shot of the whole plot.

I am planning a new plot in the center of our property. It has a box stand similar to the one pictured.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    892.6 KB · Views: 295
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    581.6 KB · Views: 272
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    445.9 KB · Views: 235
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    417 KB · Views: 275
   / Two plots in one to go! #2  
Looking good, I use similar strategy on my food plots. Always use round up ready beans and corn. It sure makes it easy to have weed free plots

/ Two plots in one to go! #3  
Good job on your plots. It's been so wet here I mid mo, can't even think about turning over any dirt.

/ Two plots in one to go! #4  
Your plot looks great. Did you use a planter? Or did you spread your seeds and drag?

/ Two plots in one to go!
I broadcast then drag with a section of chain link fence.

Jordan, the depth is about right but there are about 1/4 of the seeds uncovered. A 75% stand still produces a great food plot. The seed supplier suggested I should expect to plant as much as 1/3 extra to get a good stand.

A drill would be the best tool for beans, but I don't have one and don't care to pay o rent one for food plots.

The planting depth is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch deep I weight my drag and use a float behind that.

/ Two plots in one to go! #8  
I might have to try that. Does it handle much/any straw??

/ Two plots in one to go! #9  
Very nice powder to your soil! How did you work this ground?

A portion of he plot has been used as a food plot for several years. I've tried several seed types. Last year it was in beans. Many years ago this field was cleared and the tree tops and stumps were plied and burned. My FIL had a tobacco bed there where he raised tobacco plants for transplanting. Since then it has been pasture for grazing cows. I tell all that so you get the idea that it is pretty good soil to start.

Step 1 used a 9 shank tillage tool/cultivator to loosen the soil down about 8". I pulled the tillage tool in two directions 90 degrees.

Step 2 two weeks later - Spray with glyphosate.

Step 3 one week later - rotary till with 3 pt hitch rotary tiller

Step 4 same day spread seed and fertilizer. Drag chain link fence section to cover.