Little Trees with Big Hopes

/ Little Trees with Big Hopes #1  

lakngulf

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30
In October 2011 I collected Sawtooth acorns and Persimmon seed and began the process of growing some seedlings in my greenhouse. This past January, we planted the dormant trees in various locations on my old farm 100 acres. This spring has been good to new plants, with timely rains, and some good growing temps.

Here are some of the little fellas trying to make it in their new home.

Of course, I uploaded the best pictures, but I was amazed at how many were doing great. Keeping my fingers crossed for more timely rains. I plan to leave some of the growth around them to help protect.

/ Little Trees with Big Hopes #2  
Looking good. Around here, we either put plastic tree protectors to keep the seedlings safe from gnawing animals, (moles, voles, field mice, rabbit) or we plant way more than we need since many won't make it. Of course, I planted mine to encourage deer to the property but they also take their toll on the new trees.

/ Little Trees with Big Hopes
Looking good. Around here, we either put plastic tree protectors to keep the seedlings safe from gnawing animals, (moles, voles, field mice, rabbit) or we plant way more than we need since many won't make it. Of course, I planted mine to encourage deer to the property but they also take their toll on the new trees.

Same here. I planted them for the deer and turkey. I planted some in the 90s (unfortunately it was my brother's property and he sold it), and in 2006. Then, as now, I used your second alternative....plant more than I need. Love to see things grow from seed.

/ Little Trees with Big Hopes #4  
I have seen large plots that had a very high percentage rate of success. In fact so high that thinning was required. Not so with my 10,000 planted, maybe 10 per cent left after 15 years.

/ Little Trees with Big Hopes #5  
I agree with you the result ratio with this is quite impressive, may be it become more useful when most of us get familiar with this. When you are planting on a big project or with large plots they are really good.

/ Little Trees with Big Hopes #6  
I planted 50 wax myrtles on our farm that I bought , bare root , from the GA forrestry dept...they are doing well too...we both got lucky this year with all the timely rain...If I had known we were going to get all this rain I would have planted another 200 Leland Cypress liners....along my fence lines....since I can't water this rain would have established them...Your trees look like they will make it fine...nice work.

/ Little Trees with Big Hopes
Your trees look like they will make it fine...nice work.

They are now more covered and surrounded by the grasses, so much that the persimmon are hard to find. I am caught between taking the time to individually free them a bit, and maybe the grasses are giving them some sun protection that the young trees need. Any thoughts? The sawtooths continue to stay right at the top level of the grass, with many leaves exposed. I am thinking perhaps the persimmon need some leaves in the sun too.

/ Little Trees with Big Hopes #8  
They are now more covered and surrounded by the grasses, so much that the persimmon are hard to find. I am caught between taking the time to individually free them a bit, and maybe the grasses are giving them some sun protection that the young trees need. Any thoughts? The sawtooths continue to stay right at the top level of the grass, with many leaves exposed. I am thinking perhaps the persimmon need some leaves in the sun too.

I agree, the persimmons need to get sun...but protection too..while they are still so fragile...just like mighty oaks grow shaded by huge pine trees until they grow strong and the pines die...such is the life of the Forrest...I would add some fertilizer...little bit to make up for the grasses growing around the young seedlings....:2cents: