Food plot planter

/ Food plot planter #1  

Loafy

I was wondering if anyone has made an all-in-one implement for constructing/planting foodplots or something similar. There is a unit called "The Plotmaster" that combines several things- harrow, cultivator, seeder, and some other stuff that I don't know what they do... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have a ford 3000 with the basic implements... box blade, bottom plow, harrow, cultivator

I would love to have the plotmaster but cant afford the $2000+ price tag.

So guys and gals. If you were to try to build one of these things where would you start? Would a 1-off frame be needed or could I start with an existing implement?

I was thinking along the lines of taking either the front or back gangs off of the harrow and setting it up for cultivation or something....

Suggestions? Opinions? Cut downs? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks, Loafy

/ Food plot planter #2  
Maybe use what you have????

You didn't say where or type of ground, but I'd think you could run the disk over it a few time, then wait for
some rain, then repeat or try the cultivator. You could disk it a lot for the time it takes to make an implement.

Hope this helps.

Ron

/ Food plot planter
Re: Maybe use what you have????

Guess i could explain a little more.. just did not want to make too long of a post!
I am in SE Georgia and I can and do make food plots and keep a small garden with my current setup. The main reason i was looking at an all in one deal is mostly cause I'm lazy... well not really lazy but I don't like to waste time.

When I need to work on a plot it usually takes me a few trips back and forth to the shed to exchange implements. First the harrow to cut things up, then back for the spreader for the fertilizer, then the cultivator, then the harrow again to lightly cover the seed. It is usually a pretty long trip back in the woods each way and I sometimes get the dirt road pretty messed up if there has been good rain (and there has been lately!)

I was just thinking that by combining a few things I could do it in one trip...

I'm attaching a pic of the implement I'm looking at.

Attachments

• 306760-photo3.jpg
    306760-photo3.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,982
   / Food plot planter #4  
One way....

Carry a bucket of seed on your platform and hand toss it in front of the disk...... I had an uncle that planted walnut trees that way--just drove straight and dropped one nut every tire revolution (he sprayed a dot on the tire).

That's a cool looking unit, but WOW, I'd guess it is EXPENSIVE.....

Up north they used to have a thing called a pony drill, which was maybe a 6-8 ft wide conventional seed drill. Farmers dragged them behind a larger implement (mabye 20 ft wide) and used them to plant a couple of rows of cover crop to stop the cold north wind and snow.

If you could find one of the those, you maybe could hook it on behind your disk.............

Best wishes,

Ron

/ Food plot planter #5  
Loafy I built one for a 4000 ford last year that hadthe tool bar off a 4 row IHC planter that i put a 3 pont hitch on and and made another tool bar behind it. On te front bar i put 3 chisel plow points and a small disc gang behind it. It was built narrow to fit a 3110 Yanmar as well. On top of all this i toos some andgle iron and made a square tapered hopper andmade a small slige gate on the bottom of this. Under that i took a 12vlot blower motor stripped the blower and made a spreader disc to mount in its place. This made a good spreader. It allso had a fertilizer bag and seed bag rack. To operate it you's chisel plow the whole spot and get the biig roots and all up and get a good seed bed. Then come back placing seed and continue to drage the contraption. After ferilizer and seed was down he'd draga secton of grader blade or pipe over it. Later i fixed a fold down cultipacker secton on it to help seed germanation. I think the whole thing cost me 180 dollars to build. I used to make quite a few for hunting clubs at 400 a pop.

/ Food plot planter #7  
Older pull type grain drills seem to go pretty cheap here and I always wonder if one could be turned into a no-till unit. They seem to be in great shape and only go for $100. If you could buy a no-till corn planter in rough shape, use the no-till coulters in front of the drill, and scrap the rest.

/ Food plot planter #8  
Older pull type grain drills seem to go pretty cheap here and I always wonder if one could be turned into a no-till unit. They seem to be in great shape and only go for $100. If you could buy a no-till corn planter in rough shape, use the no-till coulters in front of the drill, and scrap the rest.

I restored an old Minneapolis Moline P3-6 grain drill (10 ft wide, 20 hoes, single disc openers) and added a hydraulic cylinder to raise and lower the openers. Bought a pair of these for $275 and used parts from each to make one good drill.

DSCF0079 (Small).JPGDSCF0080 (Small).JPGDSCF0081 (Small).JPG

It works fine in prepared soil (disc and drag) but the frame structure on that drill looks to me to be too lightweight and flimsy to handle no-till applications. The no-till drills I've seen are much more massive and heavily built with much stronger hydraulics. Some of the more modern grain drills are more heavily built and might work better as no-tills. I see these all the time on eBay in the $500-1500 range. Don't recall ever seeing one sell for $100.

Good luck.

/ Food plot planter #9  
This planter/cultivator by Covington is one of our top sellers for foodplots. $1395 + shipping. It comes with 4 plates and has dozens of additional plates available. Made in the USA. Ken Sweet

Attachments

• covington1.jpg
    covington1.jpg
    582.1 KB · Views: 628
  • covington2.jpg
    covington2.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 668
  • covintonplanterback1395.jpg
    covintonplanterback1395.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 512