Sweet Corn Seeding Question

/ Sweet Corn Seeding Question #1  

docrocky

Silver Member
Tractor
Oliver 880, Ford 8N, Ford 9N, Farmall Super C, MF 205, Ford 4400 FEL, Ford 4500 FEL/BH, Cat D-6 Dozer(1957)
Years back I read somewhere (can't find the reference) that it was best to plant the seed corn at delayed intervals so that it would not come to maturity and harvest all at once. I have planted 3 individual sections each of white, bi color and yellow that have 4 rows each, 28 inches apart and about 30 feet long and I space the seeds about 6 to 9 inches. Up here in SE Michigan I do the first batch planting as described about May 1 to 5th., then repeat as soon as the seedlings appear. I have noted that if I plant much later than early July the corn is always stunted. Does anyone have an explanation for this? It all gets the sam watering, sunlight etc but just does not seem to strive.

Attachments

• IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    579.2 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    799.4 KB · Views: 191
   / Sweet Corn Seeding Question #2  
I'm not an expert on this but my 75 year old neighbor who still farms says that every day past May 15 that his corn is not in the ground he loses a growing day.

/ Sweet Corn Seeding Question #3  
I think it's the sun (actually the Earth)...and your latitude... only another two weeks before the Sunlight starts moving back towards the equator...
A very successful corn grower here (N.E. GA) has still not planted his feed corn (typical time wise) and year after year he has great crops...go figure...yet in another few weeks local sweet corn (silver queen) will be at the market...