Deer, Soybeans and Sunflowers

/ Deer, Soybeans and Sunflowers #1  

lakngulf

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30
This year I tried my first ever summer plot...soybeans and sunflowers in the same field. Was hoping the soybeans would get some growth and give the deer something to browse on until I plowed them under and planted fall/winter plots. Was hoping the sunflowers would be pretty, and give me a dove shoot.

Well, it all started fine, but the sunflower did the best by far. Of course, I planted them in the richest, most moist soil

I returned last week to check on things. Soybeans gone, or covered with stickers (I did not spray), and the deer had attacked the sunflower. Was not expecting that

/ Deer, Soybeans and Sunflowers #2  
Deer have become so prolific and destructive here that the Fish and Wildlife Department has a no limit season on does this fall. They eat everything we plant, including the fruit on our trees. I counted six does all with fawns on our 40 acre place this spring.

/ Deer, Soybeans and Sunflowers #3  
I plant lots of soybeans&field corn for the deer/wildlife.You do need to spray for weeds .One of the secrets to soybeans to to plant a lot! Large square plots are better than long narrow ones.If you don't plant a lot of sunflowers the just eat the bud before it flowers.Can't keep beans in my gardens,deer and rabbits.

/ Deer, Soybeans and Sunflowers
Sunflower and Eqyptian Wheat still doing great.

/ Deer, Soybeans and Sunflowers #5  
Wow thats a great sight seeing all the sunflowers.

/ Deer, Soybeans and Sunflowers #6  
WOW, looking good. What type of sunflower seed is it and is it the same as the stuff for bird feeders?

/ Deer, Soybeans and Sunflowers
WOW, looking good. What type of sunflower seed is it and is it the same as the stuff for bird feeders?

I have the exact name in my truck (too tired and lazy to go look for it now) but it was regular bird feed type sunflower seed from Tractor Supply

/ Deer, Soybeans and Sunflowers #8  
Ok, Thanks, I'll keep in mind for next year.

/ Deer, Soybeans and Sunflowers #9  
My experience with "bird food" sunflower;produced a flower but no seed.

/ Deer, Soybeans and Sunflowers #10  
We planted sunflowers for pictures because nothing touches them here. The hogs walk right through them and the deer don't seem to even know they exist.

Eddie