? Insect Eggs

/ ? Insect Eggs #1  

docrocky

Silver Member
Tractor
Oliver 880, Ford 8N, Ford 9N, Farmall Super C, MF 205, Ford 4400 FEL, Ford 4500 FEL/BH, Cat D-6 Dozer(1957)
This past week I have been hoeing between my watermelon and cantaloupe plants especially getting the grass weed out within a several inch radius of the plant stems. As I dig I have encountered a nest with what appears to be miniature rice granules in 2 to 3 inch pockets and are tanish in color. Any suggestions as to what insect eggs these are and how to control other than expose to the surface and sunlight? Sorry butdidn't have my camera out with me at the time but I might have to eventually photo them for ID.
Thank You

/ ? Insect Eggs
DFB: Thank you for your response. I would say that it closely resembles I-19 but their photos show a more mature larvae which mine did not. I only saw the eggs which were slightly larger than granules or about 1/3 the size of a rice granule and a very light tan in color. Un fortunately, I must have been too aggressive with my hoeing in between the plants last week because I got laid up for 3 days with cervical (neck) disc problem of which I have 3 that have progressively degenerated over the past 10 years, but a little rest, and my wife took my truck keys away so I would not be tempted to work. As soon as I can get back out into the fields I will search and photo them. Your reference was fantastic and I was looking to see where I purchase a copy.
Thanks Again.

/ ? Insect Eggs
DFB: I was out hoeing weeds again and I finally had my camera where I could find it. These are the eggs I have frequently encountered. Many in my watermelon and canteloupe patches but most recently up in my tomato section. Here is a picture. Any help in idedntifying the insect?

Attachments

• IMG_0155.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg
    743.5 KB · Views: 204
   / ? Insect Eggs
Possibly, but there does not seem to be any evidence of a colony nor have I ever encountered any ants when digging. The eggs seem to be much smaller than rice granules or ant eggs. The first ones encountered were about the size of large salt granules.

/ ? Insect Eggs
cqaigy2: You were correct, they were ant eggs or whatever. Finally got into a few where the adult ants were recognized. Again thank you for the info.