Seeder Questions

/ Seeder Questions #1  

Haoleguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5325; Landini Mistral 50
I'm searching for a seeder that will do alternating cover crops of grass and legumes with the possibility of wildflowers later on 4-5 ft strips 800 ft long over 5 acres. When I look at the used seeder market I see seeders that have a large box without agitator. How important is having an agitator? Also for the legumes is seeding from a larger box present any difficulties? I'm a newbie when it comes to seeders but I understand that the smaller legume seed box that meters lower rates is preferred with seeders but I rarely see these on the used market in the 4-5 ft width hence my question about doing legume seeding from larger box...Thank you, Gary

/ Seeder Questions #2  
Here's the deal with "spinner" type seeders. Seed like orchardgrass, fescue, ryegrass, etc will "bridge" in the hopper and not feed out consistintly without a agitater or stirrer because they are "fluffy". Small seed like clover, alfalfa. turnips, only need a few pounds per acre so a seeder with a very small setting is needed. Resist the temptation to sow different seed types/sizes together. I.E, orchardgrass and clover. The different densities make them spread at differant widths, clover make go to 20ft and orchardgrass may go only 12-15ft. You get streaks. Drill type seeders have multiple seed boxes for planting more than one seed size at the same time. Some may even have "native grass boxes" Another advantage of a "drill" type is more accurate seed depth placement, and another in less passes over the field. But they are more expensive and take a larger tractor to pull them. I have used a 10ft Tye brand and a 10ft Great Plains brand on several 100 acres of pasture and hay with good success. Don't turn with the drill down(in the ground), many parts will be needed as a result.

/ Seeder Questions #3  
I'm searching for a seeder that will do alternating cover crops of grass and legumes with the possibility of wildflowers later on 4-5 ft strips 800 ft long over 5 acres. When I look at the used seeder market I see seeders that have a large box without agitator. How important is having an agitator? Also for the legumes is seeding from a larger box present any difficulties? I'm a newbie when it comes to seeders but I understand that the smaller legume seed box that meters lower rates is preferred with seeders but I rarely see these on the used market in the 4-5 ft width hence my question about doing legume seeding from larger box...Thank you, Gary

What seeds are you actually planting? There are many differences between grass seeds by species and Legume seeds by species. From your description sounds like you are talking about a drill am I correct?

/ Seeder Questions
What seeds are you actually planting? There are many differences between grass seeds by species and Legume seeds by species. From your description sounds like you are talking about a drill am I correct?
This Fall I would be planting winter rye with some tillage radish in some areas. Other areas would receive hard fescues. Might do some buckwheat next summer in areas going through alternating cover crops to build soil organic matter and crowd out weeds. Not fully decided on legumes but definitely crimson clover and hairy vetch. In terms of seeders I was thinking of a cup metered drop seeder like a Land Pride APS 15 series or a Kasco Vari-Slice which would spread coverage more than a drill would. Drills are hard to find in an overall width of 60 inches which is my tight requirement.......Gary

/ Seeder Questions #5  
Be on the lookout for a Taylor Pasture Dream or Pasture Dream Seeder. These old units will plant anything no-till into existing pastures or food plots.

View attachment 399122View attachment 399123

You can double pass plant on a diagonal ( 20" row spacing)

10-31-114 (2).jpg20141017_153100.jpg

They can be modified with a hydraulic cylinder to operate the seed gates

Seed Gate.jpgSeed Gate 1.jpg

Attachments

• 20141017_080043.jpg
    20141017_080043.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 454
   / Seeder Questions #7  
First 2 pic didn't post of the planter I have. If you can find one they usually are less than $1K (I paid $350 for mine w/o lid and seed gate mechanism worn out)

20141011_140123.jpgMFDC0043.jpgTaylor planter 2.jpgCAM00087.jpg

Not mine but shows the mechanical seed gate that is usually worn out
untitled.png