weeds for compost?

/ weeds for compost? #1  

mikehaugen

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 1070
When I get around to weeding the vegetable garden, I pull the weeds and throw them on the burn pile. I think to myself that I am burning valuable nutrients/ organic matter. I don't bag my grass clippings and have never tried to make compost but have started to take some clipping from a guy at work to burn so he doesn't have to pay to get them taken away. This has got me thinking that maybe I should be using that for compost. I was also thinking I could throw the weeds in there as well. Would this be a bad idea? My gut says that as long as they haven't seeded it would be fine, but what do you guys think?

/ weeds for compost? #2  
Seeds can survive for 50 years in the soil. Only compost that has heated will kill the seeds. Don't risk it, Burn any that have seed heads.

/ weeds for compost? #4  
Anything green or brown with carbon in it goes in the compost bin or the mulch pile. Turn early, turn often, let things heat up, then grow worm!

weeds seeds will sprout, the plants will grow...or die. I only call the dead ones composted. The still green ones are "yet to be composted material" ;-)

Gardens have never been better

/ weeds for compost?
Thanks for the responses