Straight up corn

/ Straight up corn #1  

sacmarata

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 6530C, Yanmar LX490, Forson Dexta
I've experimented with different food plots over the years and used some of the Biologic mixes that did pretty well. I've been wondering if next year I should just plant corn though. I mean JUST corn. Maybe an acre or 2.

Anyone just use corn only as a food plot? Do you strip mow it a little at a time each week after roastin ears?

/ Straight up corn #2  
Depending on your area I"m not sure corn would be a good draw. Here in my area there are so many cornfields that any plot has to have something special to get them to come to it. If I had to make a reccomnedation it would be to plant a few late ripening apple trees. They like apples to eat and like to brose the lower twigs. I think a just corn plot would get lost in all the huge cornfields that farmers plant.

/ Straight up corn
The area I live in has very little silage within a 5 mile radius.

I like the apple tree idea but it's a delayed gratification thing. I'm looking towards next year already and want immediate results.

The only good apple tree I have has stoped producing much and about to die. It used to be a huge draw for them but the past 2 years it is dwindling down to nothing.

I put out turnips last year and they didn't seem to draw deer in much. I think it's due to something you brought up. everyone is putting out turnips so the deer arent exactly drawn to just my place. Plus the first frost came way late.

/ Straight up corn #4  
I have planted field corn for the last eight years or so.In my area all the corn is gone by January.Mine stays until spring when I brush-hog it down.I have experimented with all kinds of food plots.Corn and soy-beans are the best bang for the buck.I broadcast soy-beans over the corn after its planted.I also have separate soy bean plots.If you plant soy-beans...do at least 1/2 acre plots or the deer will devour it before it matures.We have seen our deer weights grow the last few years,I believe its mostly due to the soy-beans.Our 3-1/2 year old bucks are going 180-200lbs dressed.

/ Straight up corn #5  
To answer your question, I am trying it this year. Behind my house I put out some rows of pencil cob just for the wildlife. I had leftover kernels from my garden and I planted the rows outback around the fourth of July in an attempt to make a late crop. It hasn't done well. At my parents' farm we have the usual stuff- Rackmaster mix, Buck Forage Oats, a small plot of rye grain, rape brassica, and turnips. I have heard the saying that corn is for cattle and from my experience that isn't too far from the truth around here. Now corn is part of the equation, but only part of it. It's actually pretty useful if even to hide in during dove season, or to make a visible barrier around fields to draw in deer.