Disc is kaputt. Can I finish with plow and drag harrow only?

/ Disc is kaputt. Can I finish with plow and drag harrow only? #1  

ALFisher

Tractor
None - looking
Basically, the title says it all. Disc is out for a while (long story) and need to do complete planting, just one 2 acre food plot to go. I have a two plow turning/bottom plow, drag harrow and seeder left unless I can find a buddy who can spare his disc at this busy time of year, which is unlikely.

Do you think I could turn the soil over with the plow and drag it to complete planting? I am just planting wheat, oats, and clover. I thought i could drag several times, spread the wheat and oats, drag again, then put the clover right on top and call it a day.

Thoughts??

/ Disc is kaputt. Can I finish with plow and drag harrow only? #2  
When the soil is rough, after plowing, it is unlikely the soil can be pressed into firm contact with the seed.

Poor germination is the likely result.

/ Disc is kaputt. Can I finish with plow and drag harrow only? #3  
If your drag has chisel teeth or some way to scratch the soil vs. just an old box spring or chain link you can get by with just using a drag. Like Jeff said seed to soil contact is paramount for good germination. Clover is usually planted no more than a 1/4" deep and a lot of times just broadcasted. Oats and wheat usally go about 1/2-3/4" but you will still get pretty good germination just broadcasting on the surface as long as the soil is slightly worked up and can get a good rain to follow to help pack it into the soil.

Everytime I plant clover I usually just spray the field with glyphosate to kill off whats there. Do a light scratch of the surface and plant and have had good enough results to skip the tillage.

/ Disc is kaputt. Can I finish with plow and drag harrow only? #4  
Your moldboard plow is going to leave large clods if your soil is thick. So you probably will have to spend more time dragging it than you would after discing to smooth the soil enough to plant your grain/grass seed mix. I assume you broadcast the seed rather than drilling it in. So now you have seed sitting on the surface. Your drag will probably cover it OK but some of the seed may be buried too deep for efficient germination. Too bad you don't have a roller or cultipacker to press the seed into good contact with the soil to help germination.

Good luck

/ Disc is kaputt. Can I finish with plow and drag harrow only?
I picked up a set of discs to borrow but they are light. Would not break up the soil deep enough so I tried plowing. Not being familiar with a turning plow I made a mess of it but I did break up the soil well.

I assume I can fix it with the disc and just weigh it down with weights?

Thanks for the help.