Hunter-found-dead-in-safety-harness

/ Hunter-found-dead-in-safety-harness #21  
He's absolutely right. A rock climber is going to turn around and latch onto the wall and start climbing, but a treestand hunter is going to be in rubber boots, already cold in thick clothing most likely and there just isn't any way to latch onto a slick tree truck and climb to relieve the tension around your legs. So you get blood pool and eventually death.

Also not a lot of guys know about it, so they hang there trying to call on a cell phone for rescue when really it would have been better to cut the strap and drop if self rescue was impossible.

I don't doubt that it can occur and am sorry if that is how my response came across. I should have been more specific and discouraged even a shorter time than an hour. That was hyperbole, and not appropriate. What I took issue with was the "even individuals in relatively good shape can be dead in minutes".

Saying someone can die in minutes even if they're in good shape seems likely to discourage people from using a harness. The OSHA safety and health information bulletin I found says death can occur in less than 30 minutes. The MSHA program I found said you should relieve pressure on the legs if a rescue can't be performed within in 10 minutes. To me, those sounds a lot different than people in good shape can die in minutes. It is definitely something to be aware of, but it isn't something that happens so fast you should be scared to use a harness.

I agree 100% that Hunters need to rig their ropes in such a way that they can lower themselves to the ground in a controlled manner and not just call for help and "hang out".

/ Hunter-found-dead-in-safety-harness #23  
I don't doubt that it can occur and am sorry if that is how my response came across. I should have been more specific and discouraged even a shorter time than an hour. That was hyperbole, and not appropriate. What I took issue with was the "even individuals in relatively good shape can be dead in minutes".

Saying someone can die in minutes even if they're in good shape seems likely to discourage people from using a harness. The OSHA safety and health information bulletin I found says death can occur in less than 30 minutes. The MSHA program I found said you should relieve pressure on the legs if a rescue can't be performed within in 10 minutes. To me, those sounds a lot different than people in good shape can die in minutes. It is definitely something to be aware of, but it isn't something that happens so fast you should be scared to use a harness.

I agree 100% that Hunters need to rig their ropes in such a way that they can lower themselves to the ground in a controlled manner and not just call for help and "hang out".

I'm trying as hard as I can, but I can't grasp how 30 minutes doesn't equate to 'within minutes.' It's certainly not hours. Please enlighten us...Also, no one was in any way trying to discourage the use of a safety harness. I think the main point of this matter is, have a way to self rescue, as you suggested, or have a plan to have someone else rescue you...fast.

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ Hunter-found-dead-in-safety-harness #24  
At my place in Lunenburg County VA, I always use a harness. I also carry a "foot strap", a knife and a cell phone.
I'd try to call 911 first.
If that doesn't work, I'd deploy the foot strap around the tree to take the pressure off of the legs.
Lasty, I'd cut the harness and take a chance on the fall.
I had a tree stand collapse once about 15 years ago. After I woke up, I ended up in the hospital for two days. I was lucky!

/ Hunter-found-dead-in-safety-harness #25  
Though not as common a fall as in a treestand accident a horse/mule slipping,tripping fall off a ledge or mountain side is no picnic either.Like when you go on a pack trip, etc. Sold my API climber couple months ago. As I'am pushing 55 (6'1" 245lbs) with no gear or winter hunting clothes been enjoying my ladder stands. Even though not as mobile as a climber. Still use harness (s) though in case I doze off.

Attachments

• blogIMG_7928.jpg
    blogIMG_7928.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 166
   / Hunter-found-dead-in-safety-harness #26  
Though not as common a fall as in a treestand accident a horse/mule slipping,tripping fall off a ledge or mountain side is no picnic either.Like when you go on a pack trip, etc. Sold my API climber couple months ago. As I'am pushing 55 (6'1" 245lbs) with no gear or winter hunting clothes been enjoying my ladder stands. Even though not as mobile as a climber. Still use harness (s) though in case I doze off.
Aint no way I would trust them animals on that trail .

/ Hunter-found-dead-in-safety-harness #27  
I just started using a climber this season. I had heard about the problems with hanging in a harness during training for man lifts etc in the military so I do believe that concern is very real. For this reason I set my catch on the trunk just so I can almost sit on the foot rest. I figure with this setup my inertia will not be such that it will slip down the tree if I ever fall and I should be able to pull to sit on the base fairly easy or if the base gets dislodged in the event I should be able to pull myself up to the top part and retrieve the foot rest. Last resort I always have a knife on me but that would definitely be a very last resort. For some reason I like climbing high up there :) I'm not afraid of heights but that stop at the bottom worries me to no end. I will have to look into making an emergency foot step strap that also sounds like a great idea. I think of those zip grip climbing things where the guy slides the gripper up the rope with his hand and raising that leg then pulls up to stand in it while doing the other side. could relieve all the hanging weight from your legs in the event you fall.

/ Hunter-found-dead-in-safety-harness #28  
Aint no way I would trust them animals on that trail .

meh

those animals been up and down that 1000+ times, I'd just keep the tips of my toes in the stirrup and ready to bail up hill :D

/ Hunter-found-dead-in-safety-harness #29  
Arent we talking about 2 different types of harnesses.. Toddler is talking about a rock climbing harness - hooked in the front at the waist.. The standard tree stand harness is an shoulder/waits that hooks you above your head in the back..

I wonder if the OSHA/MSHA are talking about the standard tree stand harness..

Brian

/ Hunter-found-dead-in-safety-harness #30  
Arent we talking about 2 different types of harnesses.. Toddler is talking about a rock climbing harness - hooked in the front at the waist.. The standard tree stand harness is an shoulder/waits that hooks you above your head in the back..

I wonder if the OSHA/MSHA are talking about the standard tree stand harness..

Brian

A construction harness is almost identical in it's setup as a treestand harness (i.e. arrest strap location, location of leg, shoulder, and chest straps.) Regardless of the type however, if you're held in an immobile upright position, the same consequences will be suffered.

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet