Hunter-found-dead-in-safety-harness

/ Hunter-found-dead-in-safety-harness #1  

wngsprd

Tractor
Kubota L3130 DT
   / Hunter-found-dead-in-safety-harness #2  
Maybe he got caught up in his harness and hung himself, may not have been paying attention & may have even forgotten he had the harness on....Thanks for posting and it will be interesting to know the rest of the story....

/ Hunter-found-dead-in-safety-harness #4  
Thanks for posting.. Id like to hear more details when/if they become available..

Brian

/ Hunter-found-dead-in-safety-harness #5  
I just stared using a climbing tree stand last year - but after much research I decided to not use the standard tree stand harness (hooks behind your back ). I went with a rock climbing harness - that you attach to in the front.. This is used with a prusiac (sp) knot and rope.

Black Diamond Alpine Bod Climbing Harness - Free Shipping at REI.com

If you have ever seen how rock climbers use/abuse their harnesses i figured it would protect me from falling several feet - this was emthasized by hunters and rock climbers on several forums. The best thing about using this harness is that you are connected in the front. That way if you do fall you are facing the tree and can get your feet against the tree to relieve any associated pressure. This harness is very light, very comfortable, and easy to put on..

There is always someone that says "you should only use a tree stand harness for hunting" and "only use a rock climbing harness for rock climbing" BUT rock climbers will tell you (as I have read on different hunting forums) that the rock climbing harness is perfectly safe for dual uses.. The bow hunter like it because there is nothing around your arms to interfere when you draw.

brian

/ Hunter-found-dead-in-safety-harness #6  
At least wearing a harness you have a chance.Fall and break something with no one around..not good.
I always wear a harness (HSS) feel a lot better about it.We had a local fall and break his back;he was about 200 yards from any road,crawled to the side of the road and was saved.Very lucky.He had used a stand that had been put on a telephone type pole,the creosote had eroded the strap and broke.Couple of mistakes here,leaving the stand up for a couple of years and not checking the straps.
Chain on stand may have been alright.

/ Hunter-found-dead-in-safety-harness #7  
OSHA and the like will tell you that climbing harness should only be used climbing. Work-fall protection and stand harnesses support from the rear, while rock climbing harnesses support from the front.

I have extensive occupational fall protection experience, and have climbed since 1975, including several trips up El Cap. I always prefer climbing seat harness, because when the SHTF, you end up sitting, looking at how you can rescue your self. You are also more likely to turn upside down.

Occupational harnesses will keep you upright, but put you in a position of relative helplessness after the fall. They also seem to constrict the front of the neck unless perfectly fitted, which could easily lead to panic.

/ Hunter-found-dead-in-safety-harness #8  
Too long hanging in any harness can be fatal.
We don't know if the anchor was proper. Was he using a travel restraint tether or a shock absorber? How far did he fall? Had he added an extension ?

/ Hunter-found-dead-in-safety-harness #9  
Age 61.....could have been a heart attack and the harness had nothing to do with it.

/ Hunter-found-dead-in-safety-harness #10  
So two flat landers go hunting.
They drive out into the sticks park and head out into likely looking territory.
One accidently shoots his partner.......oops.
The offender quickly dials 911.
Hello hello, I just shot my friend accidently....I think he's dead.
Operator: Whoa whoa slow down. Okay your friend is shot? Is that right?
Shooter: Yes! Hurry!
Operator: Don't worry help is on the way.
Now help us. You said your friend is dead. Are you sure? Make sure for us.
Shooter: Ahem, I'm don't know. Let me check.
BAM!
Okay, he's dead now what?

Merry Christmas and many happy returns ya'll
Randy