Fall Planted Oats Spring Fertilizer??

/ Fall Planted Oats Spring Fertilizer?? #1  

dieselscout80

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
I planted Oats this fall and a small bit of winter wheat should I apply some fertilizer this spring?

FYI I plan to seed soybeans into the standing oats/wheat in about May and then mow the oats/wheat to help cover the soybeans.

/ Fall Planted Oats Spring Fertilizer?? #2  
Hit the plot with a little N if you have some extra money to spend.:) Beans don't need much N though.

/ Fall Planted Oats Spring Fertilizer??
About what time in the spring would be best apply the N?

/ Fall Planted Oats Spring Fertilizer?? #4  
Here on my soil I would spread 100lbs of 34-0-0 per acer in early March. I don't have a drill so I would turn the oats under in May and then plant R/R beans running about 100lbs of 0-20-20 or 5-10-30 per acer through the planter. I usually go by my soil test but this would be my best guess. Is your ph where it needs to be?

Well over the weekend I one bag of Urea 32 or 34 N on our oats.

I hope it was not too early.

/ Fall Planted Oats Spring Fertilizer?? #7  
Be careful applying early nitrogen to any field with soybeans because it can ****** nodulation. Unless you're doing some sort of corn/soybean rotation it's a real waste of money and can do more harm then good. Keying on proper inoculation and correcting PH with lime IMHO is the best effort and money spent.

Putting down 0-20-20 when planting your properly inoculated seed in your PH balanced soil will produce a great plot of soybeans and will keep weeds to a minimum. One trip around with Roundup should be all you need a month or so later.

Here's a good link about Nitrogen and soybeans:

http://www.soils.wisc.edu/extension/area/2009/Nitrogen_And_Soybeans_Ruark.pdf

Think spring!

Be careful applying early nitrogen to any field with soybeans because it can ****** nodulation. Unless you're doing some sort of corn/soybean rotation it's a real waste of money and can do more harm then good. Keying on proper inoculation and correcting PH with lime IMHO is the best effort and money spent.

Putting down 0-20-20 when planting your properly inoculated seed in your PH balanced soil will produce a great plot of soybeans and will keep weeds to a minimum. One trip around with Roundup should be all you need a month or so later.

Here's a good link about Nitrogen and soybeans:

http://www.soils.wisc.edu/extension/area/2009/Nitrogen_And_Soybeans_Ruark.pdf

Think spring!

I think the oats will use the nitrogen.

I'm going to plant the soybeans in May. I'm trying for a double crop rotation, which is common in the South with wheat and soybeans. My father in law double cropped on his farm out in the show me state, but I'm trying here in a food plot.

Last edited:
   / Fall Planted Oats Spring Fertilizer?? #9  
I think the oats will use the nitrogen.

I'm going to plant the soybeans in May. I'm trying for a double crop rotaion, which is common in the South with wheat and soybeans. My father in law double cropped on his farm out in the show me state, but I'm trying here in a food plot.

I guess I need to realize not everybody still has a covering of snow! Right now the deer and turkeys are hitting my soybeans real hard, they are out in them at all hours of the day and night. Not a lot for them to eat until winter lets go. Here a section that's closer to the house that they haven't got to yet, but will be leveled out in the next couple of weeks.

Think spring!

image.jpg

/ Fall Planted Oats Spring Fertilizer?? #10  
I've never tried soybeans. Do the dear go after them? I made the mistake of planting Lab Lab in the fall and it did great until the first freeze, then it all died on me. I had quite a few deer tracks in it and was excited about the possibilities. Now I'm thinking of planting at least a quarter of my food plot on it again and I'm looking for other ideas to plant the rest of it.

I like to lime and fertilize with 13-13-13 in the spring so it's ready for the fall planting. I've heard that it takes several months for the lime to absorb into the soil.

Eddie