what to get for attachments?

/ what to get for attachments? #1  

snowshoehunter

Tractor
2014 kioti dk40
Looking into what to get for attachments for working the food plots at camp. I recently bought a kioti dk40. We have been using a friends tractor and he likes using a tiller on his plots. All the ones we have are a 1/2 acre or so. I was thinking of getting disc harrows instead of a tiller. The rocky soil seems rough on the tiller. Just looking for some advice on what works best.

/ what to get for attachments? #2  
Looking into what to get for attachments for working the food plots at camp. I recently bought a kioti dk40. We have been using a friends tractor and he likes using a tiller on his plots. All the ones we have are a 1/2 acre or so. I was thinking of getting disc harrows instead of a tiller. The rocky soil seems rough on the tiller. Just looking for some advice on what works best.

You need a farmer from Maine to chime in. Good Luck and good choice on the Kioti. Welcome to the Pack!

/ what to get for attachments? #3  
Food plot seeds are generally eager germinators and the seed is relatively cheap.

I use a Disc Harrow to scratch open the ground, spread a little fertilizer and supplemental Boron sometimes, sow the seed and roll in with a Cultipacker.

Get enough Disc Harrow. You need 20" diameter pans to have enough weight to do good. You would be better off with 22" diameter pans and could pull 24" diameter pans with the DK40 if you want to. The heavier pans will not break when working rocky soil except under freak conditions. You have to pay for weight, though.

Disc Harrow is from Howse. Cultipacker is from (Temporarily blocked due to reports of company closure)

DISC HARROW SELECTION:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/308251-disc-harrow-selection-18-45-a.html?highlight=

Attachments

• DSC00189.jpg
    DSC00189.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 439
  • DSC00013.jpg
    DSC00013.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 449
  • DSC00014.jpg
    DSC00014.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 361
Last edited:
   / what to get for attachments?
We have done a lot to our plots already. The oldest one is about 5yrs old and we are getting ready to replant it this year the clover is starting to get over taken by weeds. We have put a lot of fertilizer to them.
Jeff9366 do you use just the disc harrows to break the soil up or do you plow first? I have been doing a little research and is seems some people are just using the disc harrows and others are plowing too. The tiller we have used in the past does a good job just seems like a big area to rototil and it seems rough on them when you get into rocks.

/ what to get for attachments? #5  
I do mine like Jeff9366. I disk the soil, smooth it with a tine harrow, broadcast the seed, and then use a cultipacker. Nobody plows anymore except with a chisel plow for virgin unbroken ground.

/ what to get for attachments? #6  
Jeff9366: Do you use just the disc harrows to break the soil up or do you plow first? I have been doing a little research and is seems some people are just using the disc harrows and others are plowing too. The tiller we have used in the past does a good job just seems like a big area to rototil and it seems rough on them when you get into rocks.

In a few small areas where there was Bahia pasture grass sod, I broke the sod with a Moldboard Plow, then used the Disc Harrow to smooth. Plowed food plot area represents 10% of my food plot area. The other 90% I used only the Disc Harrow with two or three passes the first time I disc. As I live in Florida, I normally plant distinct Spring/Summer and Fall/Winter food plots so the plots get disced twice per year, one pass only per season, and stay soft. I sow a little thick; the local Ace Hardware sells Spring/Summer and Fall/Winter food plot seed for $22/fifty pounds.

Learning to adjust a Moldboard Plow is rather tricky. Plowing on sloping ground is REALLY tricky and I do not recommend it. Heck, finding a used Moldboard plow, complete and in good condition is difficult. It is difficult today to find replacement parts for the "wear" parts on Moldboard Plows.

A Disc Plow (which is NOT a Disc Harrow) would be my choice of plow for food plots if I were beginning now. Disc Plows are less prone to "hang up" on rocks and tree roots and are safer on slopes. Monroe Tufline still manufactures Disc Plows. Used Disc Plows show up on eBay all the time. Ken Sweet at Sweet Tractor in Canmer, KY., usually has refurbished Disc Plows which he sells on eBay.

Neither a Disc Plow nor a Disc Harrow is very good at cutting genuine sod. For that specialized task a Moldboard Plow excels.

Often people plow because their Disc Harrow is too light. There is kind of a magic number for Three Point Hitch mounted Disc Harrow general use effectiveness: 40 pounds total Disc Harrow weight bearing on each disc/pan. A Disc Harrow with 18" diameter pans barely makes 40 pounds, yet people buy 12" - 14" - 16" pan diameter Disc Harrows.

For food plots where the land has NOT been plowed 20" pan diameter is the minimum effective and 22" and 24" pan diameter better. However, most people will not pay for the weight, instead they plow. Go with Disc Harrow 9" spacing between pans rather than 7" spacing between pans. You want scalloped pans.

I usually, not always, Bush Hog new food plot land before scratching it with the Disc Harrow.

A Cultipacker will give you a better return on investment, when planting food plots, than will a plow.

Tractor work is influenced by what equipment people have on hand. Mine too.

Last edited:
   / what to get for attachments? #7  
Several passes with a disc will be enough even on virgin sod. Moldboard plowing is a totally different beast. Most food plots are shallow growing plants.

/ what to get for attachments?
Thanks for the info. I will look into finding a 3pt disc harrow. We have been planting clover chicory brassica and buck oats with great success so far. We have been using a friends tiller then use a old box spring to smooth out the soil and scrape off all the debris then seed and pack with a big lawn roller. I been looking for used attachments but not having much luck yet

/ what to get for attachments? #9  
I will look into finding a HEAVY 3pt disc harrow.

We have been planting clover chicory brassica and buck oats with great success.

We have been using a friends tiller then use a old box spring to smooth out the soil and scrape off all the debris then seed and pack with a big lawn roller.

I get better results in Florida during Spring/Summer cycle leaving a little organic debris on the soil for shade. If I cover fine seed with soil, such as clover, germination suffers. That is why I use a Cultipacker rather than a drag.

Maine may be different.

Last edited:
   / what to get for attachments? #10  
I drag only to smooth the soil. Seed goes on after dragging. Then cultipack to insure seed contact with the ground. I plant clover and as jeff9366 says covering fine seed is bad. All very good advice here.