No till, no fertilizer, no plant soybeans!

/ No till, no fertilizer, no plant soybeans! #1  

Deerherd

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS P7030 CPS, 2016 Bobcat E42, Ferris IS3100z w/37 HP Kawasaki
I planted soybeans in the spring of 2013 where there was corn the year previously. This year, I decided to cut back on that field of soybeans and plant a couple of acres of oats in the fall.

This spring I ran my rotary cutter over the whole field, (about 6 acres) to cut the previous years stubble. I then planted about 4 acres in soybeans. The other two acres I didn't touch except for running the rotary cutter.

Due to all the rain we had been having and a couple of beavers, I had a hard time getting the sprayer out to the field. About 10 days ago I got out there to spray and imagine my surprise when I saw the two acres I hadn't planted, full of soybeans!

I sprayed them for the heck of it and when I went back there today, they are two feet tall. The deer must not have eaten all the beans from last year!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

/ No till, no fertilizer, no plant soybeans! #2  
What brand of soybeans did you plant and did you use a planter or just broadcast and disc them in?

/ No till, no fertilizer, no plant soybeans!
What brand of soybeans did you plant and did you use a planter or just broadcast and disc them in?

It was Pioneer seed and that field was plowed, disced, dragged, broadcast seeded and culipacked.

It's the first time I have let a soybean field lay over and I'm amazed how well it came in considering it wasn't fertilized this year.

/ No till, no fertilizer, no plant soybeans! #4  
Thanks, I've been wanting to plant soybeans but don't have a planter. I had good luck with corn by running a disc over lightly after broadcasting and want to try that with soybeans.

/ No till, no fertilizer, no plant soybeans! #5  
Thanks, I've been wanting to plant soybeans but don't have a planter. I had good luck with corn by running a disc over lightly after broadcasting and want to try that with soybeans.

I've had good luck by tilling, broadcasting, then cultipacking beans.

/ No till, no fertilizer, no plant soybeans! #6  
We till, light disk to create furrows, broadcast, then drag with fence.

/ No till, no fertilizer, no plant soybeans! #7  
What breadtrk said, X2! Has worked very well for us on our food plots.

/ No till, no fertilizer, no plant soybeans!
Here it is two weeks later and the 4 acres I planted this year is 30"- 34" tall and beans are starting to form. You can see the area in the top right of the photo I was talking about in my first post.

image.jpg

A closer look at the area shows they are shorter than the soybeans planted this year but because of the head start they had, they already have lots of beans.

image.jpg

image.jpg