No cost option for food plots

/ No cost option for food plots #11  
The Mean Bean Crush I planted almost three months ago is a bust, they are barely a foot tall. I think we had way to much rain on them. Burned one plot off to get ready to plant some turnips.

/ No cost option for food plots
Update: Beans are doing GREAT! Some of them are 4' tall and have pods. Deer are delighted and we're seeing some really nice bucks - still nocturnal at this point - in the game cam pics taken at trophy rock sites at the edge of bean fields. Here are a few from a couple of weeks ago.

PICT0549.JPG PICT1282.JPG PRMS0798.JPG

/ No cost option for food plots #13  
That's exciting. Congratulations, looks like the beans are the way to go. Will they last into deer season? What happens when you get a freeze?

Eddie, my farmer planted ag beans, so I presume they will shatter upon a freeze. I haven't asked him when he's going to harvest, I guess that depends on the weather forecast. His interest is, of course, protecting his investment both in $$ and labor.

My advisor says that generally beans are harvested in our area about the end of October, which is two weeks before gun season, but during bow season, which begins mid September. He also said the rut won't begin until October, anyway.

Due to prior plans, I won't be able to hunt until early October, but that should afford me plenty of opportunity with a bow. And of course, the farmer will leave standing my 20% share of the crop.

Hopefully those big boys will foresake their nocturnal activity once those hormones act up. We're excited.

/ No cost option for food plots #15  
Soybeans attract deer over a wide range of times. At my place they eat the greens from sprouting in May into September then they eat beans into March. They dig through feet of snow to get to them, here's a photo from the end of last February and a current photo showing their height this time of year.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here's a video I did on some Deer in the soybeans from the last couple of weeks.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/136342088

/ No cost option for food plots #16  
   / No cost option for food plots #17  
We used to do 50/50 beans on about 32 acres with my neighbor but we got seed contaminated with round up resistant pig weed three years ago and it and low price put stop to it. We decided to restore prairie two years ago and have the project in a process. We have five food plots (totaling about 5 acres) planted with turnips and clover strategically placed on the property.

Every vehicle we ever owned (except the lawnmower and tractor) had collision with a deer. Our son hit a deer on a motorcycle in town. Another son came home one day with demolished front of the car, headlight hanging on wires pointing down but he had the deer on the back seat. He chased it down in the ditch after he hit it and was ready to put it from its misery with a pocket knife when a local cop came by and put bullet in its head.

/ No cost option for food plots #18  
Good looking deer.

Beans will die in a frost which is usually mid October here in MO... And your beans should be good and senesced by then anyways. Frost won't cause shattering (the popping of pods) but leaving the beans in the field too long will cause it. Deer love beans when they're green but then tend to avoid them untill they can come in later and just eat the pods. If we get a good snow cover here your 7 acres of standing beans will be a magnet as the deer wan't have to dig through snow to get to them.

Most beans are just starting to yellow on Sept 15th (the MO opener) so you have to hunt them early that first week or two... Evening seem to be best. But once most the field turns yellow they wont feed in it for a while. It's also about the same time acorns are dropping which is a deer's primary food source here in MO. And the rut usually starts around the first or second week of November here. It's a fun time to be in the woods!

/ No cost option for food plots #19  
You can also broadcast some cereal grain out into your standing beans once the leaves start dropping for another food source. Or check and see if you farmer is interested in doing a cover crop. Here in my county the Soil and Water Conservation district will pay you more than what it costs to put it in. I'm doing cereal rye, turnips, radishes, and clover this year.

Bean leaves are yellowing and some dropping. Farmer says he'll harvest about deer season. Game cam pics have slowed down, guess they've been eating acorns.

Neighbor has game cam near property line facing our beans, hope he doesn't poach, but once the deer move onto his property, they're fair game for him.