need help

/ need help #1  

jack707

Veteran Member
Tractor
farm trac 555
This field will be a food plot but I need some advice here on how to level it .The farmer who rents my big field agreed to plow it will that be enough to make it flat because its all bumpy and uneven.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    324 KB · Views: 459
   / need help #2  
By the time he gets done plowing and discing it it will be flat enough.
Here in MN only about 35% of hunters bag a deer each year.
We were in that catagory.
Since we started putting in plots we have doubled that average.

/ need help
Thanks the ground is hard and hasn't be worked in about 20 years!.

/ need help #4  
Have him Disk it after he plows, you will be good to go.

/ need help #5  
If there's any way you can spray with glyphosate or similar weed killer, you will have better results with your plot. A soil sample can tell you how much lime and fertilizer you may need.

/ need help #6  
Chances are what made your field bumpy and uneven was moldboard plowing. Depending on the size of the plow, plowing will leave 12"-14"-16" furrow irregularities in the field. ((Primary Tillage))

After plowing, Disc Harrows, a form of Tiller, are most often employed to reduce furrow irregularities by 50% to 6"-7"-8", then Spring frost/rain may reduce Disc Harrow irregularities further. ((Secondary Tillage))

After discing, repeated passes with a Landscape Rake with gauge wheels, Chain Harrow, Spike Harrow or S-tine Cultivator with shallow row crop sweeps are required to get a field level. ((Tertiary Tillage))

Finally, a Cultipacker, used to roll in seed, will firm the level field but leave 2" irregularities of its own creation, which may decrease with weathering. ((Tertiary Tillage))

You need to have a meeting of the minds with your renter regarding your expectations. Otherwise renter will spend a lot of time and fuel and experience a lot of body jostling plowing, yet you both will be disappointed in the result.

Last edited:
   / need help
Chances are what made your field bumpy and uneven was moldboard plowing. Depending on the size of the plow, plowing will leave 12"-14"-16" furrow irregularities in the field. ((Primary Tillage))

After plowing, Disc Harrows, a form of Tiller, are most often employed to reduce furrow irregularities by 50% to 6"-7"-8", then Spring frost/rain may reduce Disc Harrow irregularities further. ((Secondary Tillage))

After discing, repeated passes with a Landscape Rake with gauge wheels, Chain Harrow, Spike Harrow or S-tine Cultivator with shallow row crop sweeps are required to get a field level. ((Tertiary Tillage))

Finally, a Cultipacker, used to roll in seed, will firm the level field but leave 2" irregularities of its own creation, which may decrease with weathering. ((Tertiary Tillage))

You need to have a meeting of the minds with your renter regarding your expectations. Otherwise renter will spend a lot of time and fuel and experience a lot of body jostling plowing, yet you both will be disappointed in the result.

I might go a different way this guy that did some work for me has a bull dozer as heavy as the machine is it could just flatting the bumps or he could use the blade to push dirt and weeds away and then the farmer could just plow it.

/ need help #8  
I might go a different way this guy that did some work for me has a bull dozer as heavy as the machine is it could just flatting the bumps or he could use the blade to push dirt and weeds away and then the farmer could just plow it.

Rather than plowing after the bulldozer, which will re-create 12"-14"-16" furrow irregularities, perhaps the bulldozer will leave it flat enough to go to the Disc Harrow, followed by……..

You do not want to adulterate good Topsoil with lesser quality subsoil, leveling this ground.

Bulldozer may be heavy, but it is TRACKED, so soil compaction may not be excessive.

/ need help #9  
Are you making a food plot or a lawn?

/ need help
Are you making a food plot or a lawn?

A food plot I just thought it might save time with the dozer its heavy enough to push down the bumps. With plowing after afterword's wouldn't the soil be ok then? beside both men are busy so who ever get here first - I just hate waiting on people I wish I had a tractor and plow and disc.