Freakin lime!!??!!

/ Freakin lime!!??!! #21  
depends on what lime he gets.. peletized is different from powder is different from crushed limestone.

Where I live, an extension agent will rent equipment to spread ( or plant trees, or cut fire brakes via trailing plow ), very very cheaply or free.

might check. If you can get the spreader free, and have a loader to load it and a tractor to pull it.. then a load of crushed limerock will undoubtedly be your cheapest route.

The op could possibly find an old spreader at an equipment sale, like we used,and it worked fine for spreading lime and other things including seed . i think soundguy has it right depends on the type of lime even better if the spreader can be borrowed

Attachments

• fertilizer 012.JPG
    fertilizer 012.JPG
    763.9 KB · Views: 310
   / Freakin lime!!??!!
The op could possibly find an old spreader at an equipment sale, like we used,and it worked fine for spreading lime and other things including seed . i think soundguy has it right depends on the type of lime even better if the spreader can be borrowed

I will most likely get a 3ph cone spreader for seed and fertilizer, wont do anything that takes 2 1/2 tons an acre though. I have a little 10 acre hay field that a guy down the road does, I just talked to him and he is going to get me a price on doing the lime.

/ Freakin lime!!??!! #23  
My problem right now is finding a supplier/spreader guy. Just like building contractors here.... there are none!

Still searching!

I will most likely get a 3ph cone spreader for seed and fertilizer, wont do anything that takes 2 1/2 tons an acre though. I have a little 10 acre hay field that a guy down the road does, I just talked to him and he is going to get me a price on doing the lime.

If your neighbor doesn't come through for you, call your local county ag. agent. He/she should know the folks who provide custom spreading services in your area.

Where are you located in SC?

Steve

/ Freakin lime!!??!!
If your neighbor doesn't come through for you, call your local county ag. agent. He/she should know the folks who provide custom spreading services in your area.

Where are you located in SC?

Steve

Yeah,I have been working with him.. he had one guy who has not returned my call yet..

Kershaw SC

/ Freakin lime!!??!! #25  
Just remember, you are liming and fertilizing for a food plot, not production crops, so it is not as critical if you do not get it done as precisely as most farmers trying to make a living off their crops would like it. Also depends what you will be planting. Going from a pine plantation to any type of legume would require an inoculant for the legume to produce its own nitrogen quickly since the bacteria is probably not present in the soil. Not expensive, but another consideration depending on your crops and goals for the field. Good luck. Sounds like a great project.

/ Freakin lime!!??!!
Just remember, you are liming and fertilizing for a food plot, not production crops, so it is not as critical if you do not get it done as precisely as most farmers trying to make a living off their crops would like it. Also depends what you will be planting. Going from a pine plantation to any type of legume would require an inoculant for the legume to produce its own nitrogen quickly since the bacteria is probably not present in the soil. Not expensive, but another consideration depending on your crops and goals for the field. Good luck. Sounds like a great project.

Yes, that is correct and I agree.... but.... if I don't treat the soil properly I'll just be wasting $$ on seeds that wont do well. And I always like to use an inoculant on my legume seeds.
It is a fun project, but taxing sometimes.. both on my wallet and my sick little mind!:D

/ Freakin lime!!??!! #27  
   / Freakin lime!!??!! #28  
So I had about 7 acres cleared out of my pine woods to turn into my own private hunting field, trying to set it up for turkey, deer, and quail. Just got my soil test back and it recommends 4700 pounds per acre of lime!! Holy camoly!!!!! Thats right at 33,000 pounds or 16 1/2 tons of lime... I have no budget for that!

Any suggestions? don't want to just blow it off as my seeds wont grow well,not sure what to do with it at this point... dang!

Suggestion would be to do just a few acres per year if you can't afford to do it in one shot.

Just curious as to why you cleared the pines? Our pines are loaded with deer and turkeys. Don't know about quail as I haven't heard a bob-white for over 35 years and that was in pine forests as well.

/ Freakin lime!!??!!
Suggestion would be to do just a few acres per year if you can't afford to do it in one shot.

Just curious as to why you cleared the pines? Our pines are loaded with deer and turkeys. Don't know about quail as I haven't heard a bob-white for over 35 years and that was in pine forests as well.

Diversification, got about 85 acres of pines.. need some clearings, need to do some controlled burns to create some savanna areas, got some ponds, got a marsh.. nice riparian corridor... just need some clearings ...

/ Freakin lime!!??!! #30  
Do a small area, In strips. A little of the good stuff brings 'em in just as well as an entire field.