Tractorpacker anyone??

/ Tractorpacker anyone??
I've used all sorts of stuff over the years, chain link fence, old gates, cattle panels, even an old worn out box spring from a bed. So much anymore calls for a cultipacker to just assure good soil contact WITHOUT burying the seed too deep. Till I can find a cultipacker at a reasonable price I think I'll continue with the Tractorpacker method , seems to work... ok anyway..

/ Tractorpacker anyone?? #12  
I know it sounds crazy, but a friend of mine just drags a pallet behind his tractor on a chain. I was amazed at how well it leveled everything, as well as incorporated the seed into the dirt. Redneck engineering at its finest. :thumbsup:

I have used a pallet also. It does work well.

Now where have I read of pallets in the field? :)

/ Tractorpacker anyone?? #13  
Hello fellow food plotters ive been using chain link drags for years with decent results .But I finally found an old 8 ft pull type for 400 bucks I might try to convert it to three point Its close to a mile to my food plots ,and I hate to drag it that far

/ Tractorpacker anyone??
Hello fellow food plotters ive been using chain link drags for years with decent results .But I finally found an old 8 ft pull type for 400 bucks I might try to convert it to three point Its close to a mile to my food plots ,and I hate to drag it that far

Therein lies the problem with drag type attachments.. getting them to the plots. Some of my plots are through the woods, but mostly over one of my pond dams, and I don't want to drag stuff over the dam. I'll only buy 3 point stuff anymore.

/ Tractorpacker anyone??
We planted our food plots this past weekend. About 16 acres worth.
This is our planting process

1. Spray with Roundup in late July
2. Spray with roundup in late August and maybe add some 2,4-D to the tank
3. Plow food plots in early October. (LSU says don't plant before Sept. 20 because of potential armyworms)
4. Seed with a mix of 100 lbs of wildlife mix and 300 lbs of 17-17-17 fertilizer mixed in a spreader cart
5. Cover with a feeder house chain.
6. Pray for rain.

The feeder house chain works really good to lightly cover the seed. But this won't work in all soils. It works well in our sandy loam soil.
We get a used feeder house chain at a local combine dealer. Sometimes you can pick them up for free. We cut it to about 6' length and then put 2 lengths side by side to make it about 10-12' wide.

View attachment 524191

You use 100 pounds seed and 300 pounds fertilizer for 16 acres? or is that per acre?

/ Tractorpacker anyone?? #17  
I bought a cheap TSC boom pole to take care of that problem.
Therein lies the problem with drag type attachments.. getting them to the plots. Some of my plots are through the woods, but mostly over one of my pond dams, and I don't want to drag stuff over the dam. I'll only buy 3 point stuff anymore.

/ Tractorpacker anyone?? #18  
So I don't have a cultipacker.. someday maybe.. So I devised my own method on my food plots...TRACTORPACKER!!

So I disc if needed, harrow, seed, and then just drive back and forth till I press all the seed into the soil , ok maybe not soil, more like slightly dirty sand

And here's a couple fields I did this with about a month or so ago...

I've failed to find a used culti packer on CL for years so have been using your method for years.

/ Tractorpacker anyone??
I've failed to find a used culti packer on CL for years so have been using your method for years.

It seems to work ok just takes a while to do. This year I also did some of my fields going backward with my bucket down and in the float position.. we'll see how that works. Takes less time anyway...