Tractorpacker anyone??

/ Tractorpacker anyone?? #1  

hunt4570

Tractor
Grand L3540 ,724 loader, bucket, grapple and now forks also! And just for OP.. a pool!
So I don't have a cultipacker.. someday maybe.. So I devised my own method on my food plots...TRACTORPACKER!!

So I disc if needed, harrow, seed, and then just drive back and forth till I press all the seed into the soil , ok maybe not soil, more like slightly dirty sand

And here's a couple fields I did this with about a month or so ago...

/ Tractorpacker anyone?? #2  
That's what I do also but on a smaller scale. Just little places I dig up.

/ Tractorpacker anyone??
I have to have some moisture in the ground when I do it, otherwise my ground is like dry beach sand and wont pack. So I try to do it right after a rain.

/ Tractorpacker anyone?? #4  
Yup done that before,
... Now I have a cultipacker, and it does make a difference, especially on small seed stuff, and saves making so many passes over the area. LOL
....I needed mine right away, so ended up buying new, but if you are patient, they come up for sale on Craigslist often..
.. I actually just got the last of several fall/winter foodplots seeded last week, with the rain over the weekend, and current forecast, they should do pretty well.

/ Tractorpacker anyone??
Yup done that before,
... Now I have a cultipacker, and it does make a difference, especially on small seed stuff, and saves making so many passes over the area. LOL
....I needed mine right away, so ended up buying new, but if you are patient, they come up for sale on Craigslist often..
.. I actually just got the last of several fall/winter foodplots seeded last week, with the rain over the weekend, and current forecast, they should do pretty well.

I keep watching Craigslist and I only see drag models come up, keep hoping a 3 pointer will come up cause new ones are in excess of a grand!! I'll not get a drag model, to much of a pain to deal with.

And yeah driving back and forth is a pain too.. but I have time these days..

Last edited:
   / Tractorpacker anyone?? #6  
We planted our food plots this past weekend. About 16 acres worth.
This is our planting process

1. Spray with Roundup in late July
2. Spray with roundup in late August and maybe add some 2,4-D to the tank
3. Plow food plots in early October. (LSU says don't plant before Sept. 20 because of potential armyworms)
4. Seed with a mix of 100 lbs of wildlife mix and 300 lbs of 17-17-17 fertilizer mixed in a spreader cart
5. Cover with a feeder house chain.
6. Pray for rain.

The feeder house chain works really good to lightly cover the seed. But this won't work in all soils. It works well in our sandy loam soil.
We get a used feeder house chain at a local combine dealer. Sometimes you can pick them up for free. We cut it to about 6' length and then put 2 lengths side by side to make it about 10-12' wide.

feederchain.jpg

/ Tractorpacker anyone?? #7  
I’ve used my lawn roller with good results. My harrow drag with the teeth up also does a decent job. It works just like the feeder chain.

/ Tractorpacker anyone?? #8  
I know it sounds crazy, but a friend of mine just drags a pallet behind his tractor on a chain. I was amazed at how well it leveled everything, as well as incorporated the seed into the dirt. Redneck engineering at its finest. :thumbsup:

/ Tractorpacker anyone?? #9  
Looks :thumbsup: ...use what you have to get the job done. :)

/ Tractorpacker anyone?? #10  
I know it sounds crazy, but a friend of mine just drags a pallet behind his tractor on a chain. I was amazed at how well it leveled everything, as well as incorporated the seed into the dirt. Redneck engineering at its finest. :thumbsup:

I have used a pallet also. It does work well.