food plot implement needed

/ food plot implement needed #1  

stevenf

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M9000
I have done a lot of research on a good for all implement for planting food plots around the ranch and I'm having trouble figuring out what is best. I really thought a chain harrow with a lift frame would be best and now looking at the price of an 8' chain harrrow with lift for around a $1,000 it seems like maybe I'd be better off getting a regular plow, disk, harrow or ? since I think I could find a good used one a lot less than a $1,000 dollars. My need is to be able to transport this device around the ranch back into a clearing and roughup the ground a bit, use a hand seeder and then go back over the area to lightly cover the seed up. What in ya'lls opinion is the perfect implement to do this on what most would call a very small scale probably 20 or so plots 50' x 50' around the ranch with a couple of hundred yards between each plot.
My tractor is a M9000 so power to pull the implement shouldn't be an issue it is equiped with 2 remotes in the rear and one in the front. The equipment that I currently have is a 72" rhino shredder, 84" extreme duty box blade with manual rippers, 84" BTR grapple rake, 84" FEL with teeth and a beltec hydaulic down pressure auger with a tpost puff drill bit. The point of the equipment list is maybe someone can tell me that with what I currently have in my stable I could do it and how for instance maybe back drag my FEL teeth plant the seed roll bucket and smooth or use my boxblade the main thing I guess is I'm going to be doing this for many years and time is limited to get it done so I need a pretty fast and easy method of getting it done but the food plots do need to have a good success rate in the germination department I do not have irrigation abilities.
I Thank You for any recommendations you might have!
Steve

/ food plot implement needed #2  
Stevenf,
Have you tried or considered trying letting the scarifiers down on your box blade and see how that works. You might even be able to use your top link to vary your results.

I don't have a box blade yet, but I was thinking about trying this as well. I know I am cheating, but I was sort of waiting to hear the results of your chain harrow for this. I think you and I are trying to do about the same thing.

I have ruled out a disk harrow because I don't want to turn my dirt.

/ food plot implement needed #3  
A tiller would probably be the best solution.. but the cost will be more than the new chain harrow. Maybe a local search for a used one would save you some $'s.

You might be able to get by using the rippers on your box blade w/ multple passes.. depending on your soil.

/ food plot implement needed #4  
Steve, use the rippers on your your box blade. Shorten your top link if you need. I have found that it works just like chisels. I not sure how your rippers are attached, but I found I had to keep an eye on them as set bolt backs-off and the ripper falls out. Good luck Steve

/ food plot implement needed #5  
Steve, If you wind up buying an implement for your food plots, I suggest a wheel disc. It will do the job and can be transported easily.

TK

/ food plot implement needed #6  
You need at least a disc harrow. A chisel plow to go with it would be even better. You can buy a pretty good used 7-shank chisel in my area for about $500. A good disc harrow, 8' to 10', will probably cost a little more. Check out auctions and used equipment places for bargains.

I don't see how you can plant a food plot without "turning over the soil" unless you use a no-till drill.

/ food plot implement needed
ken I've been thinking of doing that but I was concerned with you being willing to ship for some reasonable price because being texas there is a farm implement store around every corner out here in the sticks. The problem is knowing for sure that the sales guy is telling the truth about his goods compared to my needs. I also have given thought and even talked to my tractor dealer but he's by no means the cheapest on implements and he doesn't sell much used stuff.
Steve I'll try to call on Monday

/ food plot implement needed #9  
I would suggest a disk also. I've worked up lots of small grass plots with just a disc. If you can, get a disk that you can easily straighten the gangs on. After I work up the ground and sow the seed then I adjust the gangs to where they are running straight and run over the ground again. This lightly covers up the seed instead of working so deep into the soil.

/ food plot implement needed
challengertn, I've not run any farm implements so pardon the dumb question with a disk can you just expect to lower the disk down and go will it dig in to soil thats never been turned or would I have to have some sort of rippers or chisels on the front of the disk assembly to do the intial soil breakup.
Steve