A little food plot

/ A little food plot #1  

Varmintmist

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra3510
I finally got the food plot in, we will see if I am to late or not this year.

This is a pic of the 2 bottom plow buried /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I did get to find out which bolt was the shear bolt. Took about 5 feet. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

plow down

I will plow this next year for two reasons, First is its all rooty and I didnt have the time to pick through it and second because it is going to get bigger.
It is bigger than this picture, there is some downhill off to the left.
plowed

It is pretty steep, not awful, at least until some nut plowed it and made it bumpy, /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif It is steeper off camera to the left and behind.

This is a pic of the tractors way in. The hump on the right is the bachstop for my rifle range. Hmmmmm, imiagine that, the food plot is almost exactly 100 yards from my back porch, /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif co-in-key-dink?? I dont think so /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
trail

/ A little food plot #2  
I've never seen a plow get quite that deep. You need to trade that plow for one that has auatomatic trip and reset. You will be spending most of your time changing shear pins in rooty ground like that. Did you disk after plowing? Looks like it needed a disk run across it a few times after plowing. Anyway, I don't think you are too late planting. About right I would say.

/ A little food plot #4  
You are talking a food plot to help the wild critters right? how big of an area? and what are you planting?

/ A little food plot #5  
Prety simple range finder you have there....

We just put ours in the ground the weekend before Katrina. They were quickies and already stand about 3-5" I still intend on planting a couple more small ones, though we wont get quite as cold as you will.

/ A little food plot
Yep its a food plot for the critters, not a garden, though that is going to get bigger also.

The plows came at a good price and I can get a lot of shear bolts for what I saved. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Nope, I dont own a disk. I put the back blade on and made a few passes over it. I am trying to get my neighbor to plant a plot, I can plow it and he has a little tractor and a disk. It is going to get plowed again next spring or summer so that will give the stuff a little time to rot. I'm just learning this plow, I know it was deep, but where I could run straight and fast it rolled dirt. To bad about 1/2 was slow running. It will be better next time.

At the moment it isnt quite a quarter ac (est). I ran out of clearing time. We could see a frost within 2 weeks up here so I wanted it in.

I planted Bio-logic the 10lb for 7 bucks kind. Clover, oats, brassicas are what I remember was in it. I planted a dinkey plot about a month ago a little farther away, and this stuff is growing in nice. If deer here like it to eat is still up in the air. Lots of food in the woods.

/ A little food plot #7  
We had a light frost last night in Central Michigan so it won't be too much longer before we start getting serious frost.
Farwell

/ A little food plot #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Yep its a food plot for the critters, not a garden, though that is going to get bigger also.)</font>

OK, I get it now - sorry for not paying enough attention. Intentional food plots for critters would be a foreign notion around here; we have to completely enclose our garden to keep all the critters from eating our food.

/ A little food plot #9  
You need to get rid of that plow totally and get a roto tiller. One pass and you are done plus if you want to put on lime or fertelizer you can till it into the soil and enhance it to work faster. I also put in food plots. The 5 ft tiller was a good investment for the money spent. Plows are easily sprung and then they never work right after that.

/ A little food plot #10  
knew you would catch on /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif up here the wild critters sometimes need a little help to make it thro the winter, although the DEC frowns upon it.