Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Tractor
    TM233

Default Re: Food Plot Photos

Corn crop just wilted and died I guess due to heat..as we have had fairly regular rain. I've heard that rye wheat will almost grow on concrete, so thats why I'm planting it later this month (or early Sep) for the winter crop. Happily, the turnips, sorghum and soybeans seem to be doing well.

Normally it's very hot and dry through August here in Mississippi. We had a very early spring and hopefully we're going to have an early fall. So, last weekend I planted a spot(tenth acre) of clover just to see what deer will prefer. We've gotten 4 good rains since and had a couple good rains last week. Needless to say the clover is on it's way. One year we planted a little early and had fair rainfall. That year the plots were tall and amazing! Haven't been able to repeat that so for but looking good so for this year. Soon as it dries up enough we're going to plant buck forage oats and the dove patch will grow wheat. We're doing all these patches in a 20 acre field. Also going to plant a patch of turnips but would like to "test" another type of food. Any suggestions?

Gold Member
    Tractor
    MF 35, Mahindra 4035

Try some Austrian Winter Peas...

Rich

Tractor
    Kubota b3300su hst-polaris ranger 500-Kubota Commander ZTR

Finished up my food plot last night ahead of Issac, had 2" of rain by 9:30 this morning! Planted turnips, Austrian peas, and sugar beet mix. I hope this rain will sprout my clover plot it's been looking dead for months. Anyone else get their plots in?

Thanks on the Aust. peas, may just try em. Unless we plant the peas, we are through too and now we'll get to bushhogging and side trimming our lanes. I haven't been on this thread long but was wondering if many of ya'll have good lanes cut around your hunting property? The reason I'm asking is because it was the best thing "hands down" we ever did that increased our big buck harvest. Food plots are fine but lanes are GREAT!

Tractor
    L3130 Kubota

I got mine in on the 31st also. Rain started as I was putting tractor away. Clover/alfalfa/wheat. 3 days later I had one inch plants... wheat I'm guessing. Issac screwed up the beginning of dove season but was right on time for the food plot.
    Last edited by big e; 09-05-2012 at 02:26 AM. Reason: to write out date

Tractor
    L3130 Kubota

Here are a couple pictures of my week old food plot.
    This farming thing is easy!
    Thank you Issac.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dscf3551-jpg   -dscf3554-jpg   -dscf3556-jpg  

Tractor
    ford 4500

This is another plot we done about a month ago.

Start of it

Here's what it looked like last Sunday

Chicory turnips clover and winter wheat.
    Ford 4500
    Allis chalmers D17

Checked our oat field out yesterday and found it occupied by a few deer (34 best I could count). Guess we'll plant oats from now on. Got good stand of clover and turnips on some of the lanes, will see in a few weeks if they will attract the deer.

Tractor
    Kubota b3300su hst-polaris ranger 500-Kubota Commander ZTR

Finally got back to the farm to check on the food plots. The turnip plots are doing great, been getting a lot of rain here in Central Mo. lately.-pics-phone-129-jpg-pics-phone-135-jpg-pics-phone-136-jpgLooks like the deer are really hitting the plots hard because there are no acorns here and the drought dried up a lot of browse.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast