Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Yanmar 2000B & Skat Trak 1300D skid steer

Default Food Plot Photos

Anybody have photos of their food plots? Attached is the beginning of mine. Freshly cleared 2 acres, going to plant "Turkeytown Mix" a mix of clover, alfalfa, & rye.

Anybody else?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    TC33DA

Default Re: Food Plot Photos

Attached are some of my food plots . Most of these were taken from a deer stand . I try and creat my food plots longer and narrow and then create some transition cover around them and keep them neer the timber . I've planed about every things in them over the years but I have found a piticuler brand of oats to be the best for attracting wildlife .
    Matt

Tractor
    Kubota GST Grand L3130 w/ 723 loader, Ags

Heres a few does chowing away. I planted some mix of oats and other grasses.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    jd 970, JD GT235

heres about the only pic i have, about 2 acres of field corn, prob late july/early august.

Tractor
    International 1066 with Year Round Cab, Kioti DK 45S with Cab, 451 Loader

Didn't take any pics of mine, they are now covered with snow and the deer and turkey this fall put the works to them. Mine were buckwheat mixed with a blend of seeds that I got from Tractor Supply that were supposed to be good for quail. I was later told that the buckwheat would come up first and starve out the other seeds but that didn't seem to happen.

Here's some of mine.

The last one is a composite photo and is about 1 month after planting.
    Last edited by john_bud; 11-16-2009 at 02:00 PM.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    1996 Kubota L4200 GST, LA680 FEL

Here's mine:

First planted - September 18th:

What it looks like now - February 21st:

Just a straight 50/50 wheat and oats mix.

I'm curious what it will look like later this spring.
    1996 Kubota L4200 GST, LA680 FEL, + several attachments

www.padens.com

Platinum Member

I glad this post started. I have 2 acres, 1 acre is yard and the other acre is field grass that gets mowed a few times a year. I would like to plant something for wildlife to munch on in the spring. I only have a subsoiler and box blade. My idea was to use the rippers on the BB to create the seed bed.

Are there any suggestions of something that is easy to plant?

Tractor
    Kubota 3430 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by john_bud
    Here's some of mine.

The last one is a composite photo and is about 1 month after planting.
    John Bud:

What are the plants in the first 3 photos? My plants never get that big. The deer maul them before thay get too much growth.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhobbyfarmer
    John Bud:

What are the plants in the first 3 photos? My plants never get that big. The deer maul them before thay get too much growth.
    If you suspect that the plants are not able to mature, build a chicken wire fence with a top about 5-6' across and 5' high. Stake it to the ground and see how the plants inside do compared to plants outside. You may have to adjust ph and fertilizer levels, maybe add some organics to the soil. Or, just kill more deer...

Brassica (forage rape) - Grows fast with correct N2 levels - lots and lots! Plant few seeds. Too many and they won't grow tall, wide or thick. Just stemmy junk that nobody likes to eat. The deer don't mess with it much until after the first frost. Grasshoppers LOVE the leaves and birds love the hoppers.

Buckwheat (white seed heads)- It grows FAST. Need to set the ph and fertilize. They are very frost sensitive. Lost the crop twice, due to late shallow patch frost. Wierd, a 3" depression will have frost damage and either stunt or die and the rest is fine. Deer will eat an entire plant down to stems and it is back leafed out in a week. Turkey's love the seeds. Sandy loam

Turnips - I go out and check out the activity daily and eat several. Some have gotten larger than softballs. Really giant. Around that plot, deer don't eat them much. Other plots in the woods - the turnips are smaller and they get paw'ed out of the ground. Odd how browse changes like that, but that's why you have to plant multiple species.

The last one is a mix of oats, wheat, and white, medium red, yellow blossom clover. 5 fields from 40x60 to 500 x 200'. I can't hardly keep the deer out of them long enough to tell what plants are coming up. Bear too love that stuff.
    jb
    Last edited by john_bud; 11-16-2009 at 02:00 PM.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast