Davis loader for an 8N

/ Davis loader for an 8N #1  

rback33

Veteran Member
Just a heads up, there is a Davis loader for an 8N for sale in my area. Saw it in the paper. I would guess it i very similar to the one on my Dad's Jubilee that has worked great for years.

/ Davis loader for an 8N #2  
Dumb and dumber: Loader on a 2wd tractor, loader on a 2wd tractor without power-steering. No offence, but putting a loader on an 8n is a good way to ruin a great little tractor. They might work ok for straw, woodchips, manure and other real light stuff but that is about it.

/ Davis loader for an 8N #3  
Dumb? Dumber? That's a narrow elitist point of view that just because a condition isn't ideal.. that it is 'dumb'. America would not be where it is today if hard working farmers in the 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's would have taken that attitude that if it wasn't done with absolutely perfect conditions then it was a bad idea...

If you ate something today.. thank a farmer..

Back then there wasn't much else.. just 2wd/loader and no ps. And if you had one.. you were darn glad you did.

HAving a powered wheel barrow sure beats doing it by hand.

I move round hay bales with my ford 660 and 850.. both are 2wd, no ps, and using a similar non-hd front axle as the 8n.

Ideal? heck no.. Work saver? heck yes.

Here's a pic of my 1955 ford 850 using a ford 711 1-arm loader to dump a round bale over the fence into the cowpen... Way easier than using a spear on the rear and having to navigate into and out of the cowpen with hungry cattle trying to get by you...

Soundguy

Attachments

• lodumphaySmall.jpg
    lodumphaySmall.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 3,329
   / Davis loader for an 8N
Thanks Soundguy. I could not agree more. and if he thinks it is THAT dumb he can have a Power steering kit shipped out for the 8N as well. There is a company here in Kansas that makes them. That loader on my Dad's Jubilee has certainly saved ME countless hours of "two handed manual backhoe" work. I guess until you have run one, there is no basis to jump to judgment.

Edit: I'll try and get some pics of the Jubilee over lunch since I have my good camera with me today.

/ Davis loader for an 8N #5  
I have a dearborn loader with 2 new hyd cylinders that I plan to sell if I can find anyone interested.

/ Davis loader for an 8N #6  
Soundguy said:
Dumb? Dumber? That's a narrow elitist point of view that just because a condition isn't ideal.. that it is 'dumb'. America would not be where it is today if hard working farmers in the 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's would have taken that attitude that if it wasn't done with absolutely perfect conditions then it was a bad idea...

Soundguy

Afternoon Chris,
I agree with what your sayin, heck they had loaders long before FWA was even talked about !

On the other hand the 8n has a heavier frontend than say my little Super A which is not a good canidate for a loader at all ! The front spindles just cant take much weight period. That doesnt mean that people havent put loaders on them ! For light duty stuff like a couple of hay bales or wood chips etc they are great, just gotta remember what your drivin !

Like you say, it still; beats a wheel barrow ! ;)

/ Davis loader for an 8N #7  
Sure... match the work to the application.

I've seen farmall cubs with light duty loaders, as well as allis 'g' with light duty loaders.. not much over a few hundred pounds of lift or so.. but heck.. sure beats carrying 5-6 bags of grain on you back.. or pushing down a maneur pile by hand.

I know guys with NON-HYD loaders on some old tractors that use CHAINS.. and they still use them.. some to stack hay.

Ever see thos old farmall trikes with the big square contraption - rube-goldberg looking loaders? Looks like a pipe factory exploded and landed on a farmall.. but I seen em stack round hay bales 3 levels tall with those odd looking suckers... just gotta make sure you have 12' gates on the farm.. or ys can't get the tractor thru!!

Soundguy

/ Davis loader for an 8N #8  
It looks like maybe an apology is due here, SORRY Soundguy, no offence intended. That looks like a fine rig you have there and I am glad it serves you well. I just have a soft spot for the 8n because it is the first tractor I ever bought myself. To me, a loader on an 8n in 2007 is a bad idea because it destroys this tractor's near perfect weight distribution, and kills it's advantages of compact size and light weight. I still use my 8n on a 2-row corn planter and in my opinion there is not a modern tractor that is better at this task.

/ Davis loader for an 8N #9  
It's great that your 8n works perfectly for you for it's duties.

It's also true that when you add a loader they become longer and less maneuverable.

You just have to fit the application and detials to the situation at hand. It's not a 'dumb/smart' issue.

For the guy that uses it to cultivate or plow.. yes.. a loader might make it a bit of a monstrosity.. especially in tight spaces.

For the guy carrying 300# of feed out to animal pens at the rear of his property. or who needs to toss a hay bale or two over a fence... it sure beats a wheel barrow.. etc..

Soundguy

/ Davis loader for an 8N
I finally took the pics I have promised many times before.... This loader has moved TONS of manure.

Last edited: