How to remove a ring gear from an 8n flywheel

/ How to remove a ring gear from an 8n flywheel #1  

slapshot

Silver Member
Tractor
'51 Ford 8n
I need to replace my ring gear on on my 8n.
I know to put the new gear on I'll put the ring gear in the oven and the flywheel in the freeze, but how do I get the darn thing off? Brute force or are there any easier tricks?

Thanks
-dave

/ How to remove a ring gear from an 8n flywheel #2  
Hi Slapshot,
I would try to heat the old gear with a o/a torch and knock it off. Try to keep the heat concentrated on the gear it self and do not let the flywheel become to hot. You have to be quick else flywheel will expand to much. I guess you could try cutting a slot in the gear with a grinder or very gently with the torch and pop it off to.
Glenn

/ How to remove a ring gear from an 8n flywheel
I was reading on a couple auto fourms, where they described partially cutting it with a saw/grinder then poping it with a cold chisel.

I think I'll give that a shot.

-dave

/ How to remove a ring gear from an 8n flywheel #4  
I use a drill bit to drill near thru, then the chissle to split it.

soundguy

/ How to remove a ring gear from an 8n flywheel #5  
I've done this literally a hundred times. Place the ring gear on a 5 gallon bucket, so that if the ring gear was loose, it would fall to the ground. Now, heat the ring gear only with a torch, equally, all the way around. Don't stay in one spot, just go around the whole thing kind of slowly. When the ring gear gets hot enough, it just falls right off. Now, flip the flywheel over. Have a hammer ready just in case. Put the new ring gear on the flywheel and do the same process. When the ring gear heats up enough and expands, it will drop on. Sometimes you have to tap one side with a hammer. Very easy process.

/ How to remove a ring gear from an 8n flywheel #6  
Wayne County Hose said:
I've done this literally a hundred times. Place the ring gear on a 5 gallon bucket, so that if the ring gear was loose, it would fall to the ground. Now, heat the ring gear only with a torch, equally, all the way around. Don't stay in one spot, just go around the whole thing kind of slowly. When the ring gear gets hot enough, it just falls right off. Now, flip the flywheel over. Have a hammer ready just in case. Put the new ring gear on the flywheel and do the same process. When the ring gear heats up enough and expands, it will drop on. Sometimes you have to tap one side with a hammer. Very easy process.

I have seen the service guy from the Dutch Ursus tractor importer, do the same trick with my neighbours tractor. It looked very easy.

/ How to remove a ring gear from an 8n flywheel #7  
slapshot

Have you bought the new ring gear?

I might be frugal but usually motors stop in the same place each time and I have just spun them 120 degrees on the crank holes. Then starter hits in a different place.

If I have to thake them off.
I knock the ring gear off with a hammer and brass punch working around fly wheel a little at a time.

Heat it up to put on.

tom

/ How to remove a ring gear from an 8n flywheel #8  
I think on some of the old Waukesha and Continental engines, you could just flip the ring gear over and re-install. Check to see that the teeth are cut the same on each side, yours may be the reversible.

/ How to remove a ring gear from an 8n flywheel #9  
Not really on the 8n.. It's not worth the 10$ to reuse it... once you got it off.. yuo might as well put a good one on.

On an N the starter drive 'sucks in' and engages the ring gear from the trans side anyway..

soundguy