Where are the identifing numbers on an 8N?

/ Where are the identifing numbers on an 8N? #1  

Samandothers

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240
My brother has an 8N and was wanting to identify the year. Where are the serial numbers or other identifing numbers? Thanks for the help!

/ Where are the identifing numbers on an 8N? #2  
Look on the left side of the engine, in a 1x4 boss, above the starter, aft o fthe oil canister, and under the head..

Sns are weekly hand stamped.. all 8n numbers start with 8n.. all 9n/2n numbers start with 9N. All 9n/2n/8n engines will bolt up to an N series tranny... so it is not uncommon to have a 9n chassie and 8n engine.. .. etc.

8n were 4spd plus reverse, both brakes on the right side.. etc.

Ford Model 8N
Year Starting Serial Number
1947 1
1948 37908
1949 141370
1950 245637
1951 343593
1952 442035

post back.

soundguy

/ Where are the identifing numbers on an 8N?
Thanks Soundguy for the information. I will share with my brother. Once he gets back with me I'll post the findings.

The tractor has been in the family since the early 60's and during that time it has not had any major work that I remember. Lots of fun and fond memories with that tractor.

Thanks again.

/ Where are the identifing numbers on an 8N? #4  
They are decent little machines.. make good small estate tractors for mowing and discing and plowing.. and other light to medium tasks..e tc.

soundguy

Dad used the tractor on the farm from 61 until he sold the equipment in early 80's. Used it with 6' sickle bar, rake, old self powered baler, 2 bottom plow, 5foot bush hog, small blade, used a pto pump and 55 gal barrel to spray weeds. Great little machine. We also had a 135 MF that was a great tractor too.

Saw my brother this weekend. Looked on the side of his tractor where you stated. There was a flat area with some numbers that were pretty hard to read. It did start with 8N then appeared it appeared to be 5I2 then a space and some other numbers not very legible. Next time I am arround the tractor I may attempt to take some fine sand paper or paint thinner and clean the area to see if the numbers become more legible.
It is a 4 speed transmission so it appears to be an 8N front to rear. Dad got the tractor when he bought some land in early 60's.

Thanks for pointing out where to look.

/ Where are the identifing numbers on an 8N? #7  
You can try chalk, crayon, or even carb cleaner rubbed over to find the numbers.. a strong lamp held at an angle will work too.

be carefull with sand paper or filing, as you are removing metal.. and the numbers are already shallow as it is.

soundguy

Thanks for the feedback. I agree the sand paper is not the best choice. I will try to remember and take some of the kids' sidewalk chalk when I'll next be around the tractor.
Again thank you for the information.

/ Where are the identifing numbers on an 8N? #9  
take a pencil or a crayon and a piece of paper, put the paper over the numbers and rub it with the pencil, you will have dark letters/numbers and light spaces between.

(works better with engravings than raised numbers, but it should work.)

Aaron Z

/ Where are the identifing numbers on an 8N? #10  
take a pencil or a crayon and a piece of paper, put the paper over the numbers and rub it with the pencil, you will have dark letters/numbers and light spaces between.

(works better with engravings than raised numbers, but it should work.)

Aaron Z

These SN's ARE NOT raised numbers on castings.. they are lightly hand stamped numbers.. I specifically mentioned 'shallow' in my previous messages.

Still.. rubbings sometimes work to give you a negative.. if the surface is not too bad.. unfortunately.. usually it is too bad for a rubbing.. etc.

soundguy