Ford 641 Loud Noise

/ Ford 641 Loud Noise #1  

chrisco321

Tractor
Ford 641 Workmaster 1958
Looking for some help diagnosing an irritating noise that occurred tonight when I got home from work and cranked up the old Ford eager to check out my new dirt scoop I bought. It got real cold today. I changed the oil this weekend. No problems then but tonight it made a very shrill and high pitched noise that sounded like it originated in the odometer (gauge) area under the steering wheel. The guage was jumping around and I notice that one of the needles was broken in two and bouncing around under the glass. Sounds crazy but I am serious. It was coming from that area and was very irritating. It might have been smoking a little more than usual but it was hard to tell because it was dark and I was freezing so I rushed it back to the barn and shut it down. I don't know much about tractors except I really enjoy these old Fords and like to work it around the yard whenever I can. Thanks!!

/ Ford 641 Loud Noise #2  
Sounds like your tachometer cable needs to be lubed. You should be able to buy cable lube at an auto parts store. Disconnect the tachometer cable from the back of the tach and pull the inner flexible cable out and apply the lube. The cold weather has made the old lube stiff and is causing the tach needle to jump around.

/ Ford 641 Loud Noise #3  
Jesse is correct. I remember my 1953 Chevy Pickup did this quite often. All I needed to do was lube the cable. If you don't lube it it will eventually break and your tack won't work.

Don

/ Ford 641 Loud Noise
Thanks guys! I'm glad to here it is that simple. I will give it a try this weekend. Take care!

/ Ford 641 Loud Noise #5  
Lubricate a cable such as that on a regular schedule. :D

With the old speedometers/odometers the needles used to swing something awful while that ugly screeching grinding sound was prevailing.:D

/ Ford 641 Loud Noise #6  
Sometimes the innards stick as well.. bit of moisture and some frost will make em act real weird..

graphite lube is great for the cable.

soundguy

/ Ford 641 Loud Noise #7  
Yup, nothing like a regular maintenance schedule for some mechanical items.:D