ford 841 electronic ignition

/ ford 841 electronic ignition #1  

mayer2323

I have the kit to switch from points to electronic ignition,I also have to change the coil .Has anyone had any experience doing this? Its a 6 volt positive ground system.Would like to know if its worthwild. Thanks

/ ford 841 electronic ignition #2  
Ok.. so your tractor is 6v p-ground, and your kit is the one for 6v pground. is this a pertronix ignigtor or igniterII kit?.. or a hobby low-current breaker-switch kit?

In any case.. those 6v e-kits are finicky on power.. voltage rather.. anything under 4.5v and the logic won't work. thus you must ensure your 6v system is in top shape. I'd go for a new battery, and check your gen / vreg. IE.. install new wires and clean all connections and grounds.. bat ground to fram.. and cable ends.. make sure gen charges good.. etc... check grounds at vreg.. clean up connections there too.

if starter drags... you will have problems... make sure you have the big 1/0 thick as yer thumb 6v cables.. not wimpy 4ga automotive 12v cables.. they are the prime reason for dragging starters.

that 172ci engine is a bit to turn over.. so give it all the help you can.

soundguy

/ ford 841 electronic ignition
Its a pertronix ignitor . I am going to buy pertronix flame thrower coil also . they say you need that coil or a resistor to get the correct resistance for the ignition. Thanks for the reply.

/ ford 841 electronic ignition #4  
They work fine without the extra special coil.. but your money.

spark voltage will be limited by air gap and compression...

don't forget and leave your key on .. the non '2' series are 'dumb' and will burn up coils just like a points system if the key is left on.. ( they leave primary hot.. etc..

soundguy