Ford 3000 Diesel Thermostart

/ Ford 3000 Diesel Thermostart #1  

loy44

Tractor
Ford 3000 Diesel
Just purchased a 1975 3000 with 'supposedly' low hours. Bought it in the south and transported to Illinois. Started great down there and could not see any leaks. Does not start so well here. Lots of smoke!! I have been reading through all the posts getting a lot of great information. Bought the IT manual (somewhat helpful). I have spent the past week or so going through the tractor familiarizing myself with how it works. Looking for potential problems. And I have several questions.

I found that the tractor has the Thermostart but it is not connected to the starter switch. Also there is no fuel in the Thermostart reservoir. I hardwired the thermostart to the battery for a second and it heated up so I assume it is still good but I will probably buy a new one just to be sure. I also have replaced all the fuel injector leak off lines to assure they have good seals. After running the engine for about 15 minutes there still is no fuel in the reservoir. How is the reservoir filled?

The power steering fluid is low. Can I use the same fluid that I use in my cars since I have a bottle?

/ Ford 3000 Diesel Thermostart #2  
Yes.. regular PS fluid will work.. however.. you might as well bite the bullet and get you some UTF fluid and do a service on that machine.. It's always good form to do full fluid and fitler changes on machines.

Keep in mind the diesel down here inthe south may not be the same as in the north ( cold weather ).

IMHo. the thermostart was fed off the return fuel line hitting hte resv before return to tank..

soundguy

/ Ford 3000 Diesel Thermostart
Thanks, fortunately or unfortunately I am now retired and have too much time on my hands so I decided I might as well see just what kind of shape this engine is really in. And to my surprise everything is coming apart very easily. Maybe too easily because I can't stop.

Got the radiator and all the front off of it. Found the fan shaft has significant wobble. So will get that fixed. Thermostat looks good. The injectors came out very easily so can take those in to have them checked. Generator will go in to be checked. Power steering reservoir taken apart and new filter to be installed.

First snag came when trying to find a compression testor. No one rents one and the local Ford dealer won't loan one to me even though I promised him a bunch of part business. I want to do a compression test before taking the head off.

What kind of tester will do the job? I assume it has to have a fitting that will fit the injector hole. Will a hand held one work or do I have to get one that bolts to the injector studs?

/ Ford 3000 Diesel Thermostart #4  
You can get diesel injection testers for many models from chinese stores.

fan wobble= bad water pump bearing..( and soon the seal ).

why waist money sendingthe genny in to be 'checked'

it's a B- circuit lucas genny.. EZ to check with a battery.

slip belt off, jump bat ground to chassie, jump bat hot to arm and field... if genny spins.. she will charge.

if she don't charge when running.. get a new reg...they are junky... lucas makes decent gennies.. and sucky regs..

soundguy