Please help with my 600 Ford

/ Please help with my 600 Ford #1  

teddy

I used this tractor last week. Changed oil and fuel filter, has been running like a dream. But now, It seems to have no compresson. It doesn't stop spinning quickly when I let off the starter like it did beflore. I though maybe the timing chain is broke but the rotor still turns while ctanking. Please give me some ideas and how to's........How ya doing Soundguy? thanks teddy

/ Please help with my 600 Ford #2  
Your description lacks detail. From what I read -broken crankshaft or all flywheel bolts missing/broken. Both extremely unlikely to happen when not running & you'd have noticed a broken crankshaft if you were operating, flywheel ????. Less extreme, possibly ring gear slipping on flywheel ?? Can you see the fan turn when cranking?? Are you just hearing the starter cause it's not engaging the engine at all ? MikeD74T

/ Please help with my 600 Ford #3  
Can you see the fan turn when cranking?? Are you just hearing the starter cause it's not engaging the engine at all ? MikeD74T

My thoughts exactly. Perhaps the starter bendix is "toast" and the starter is not engaging the flywheel. This is when a nice hill to let the tractor roll down and push start works well. I've also hand-cranked an old Ferguson TO-20 many times, but I'm sure a Ford 600 would be much more of a chore to crank.

/ Please help with my 600 Ford #4  
I agree.. sounds like starter drive gear.

it's an easy 3 bolt jobn to pul the starter.. les sthan 5 minutes.

also.. timing GEAR not chain!

and no external fuel filters needed.. ford already provided built in filter screens.. clean ema nd use em.. add on fitlers can block flow on a gravity feed system.

soundguy

/ Please help with my 600 Ford
Sorry for not being clear enough on this Tractor problem, let me try again. The starter is enguaging properly. The fan is turning, the distribator rotor is turning, I can pull out a spark plug and feel something going on that is some sucking and very little blowing. sometimes it will pop a little. Something has changed and I do not know what. I just hate to start taking things apart until I at least try and find someone who has had a similar problem and old as this thing is this should not be a frist. I could be in left field over looking something. I thank each one of you who made an effort to aid me....teddy

/ Please help with my 600 Ford #6  
That sounds like valve timing. Popping usually indicates firing with valves open. If ignition timing was off you'd still get good "suck & blow". I'm sure Soundguy will fill in the details.
I highly recommend you do an EBAY search for Ford 600 manual. I don't like the "IT" manuals, they leave out too much detail. The red & black ones are very good. Get a shop & parts manual and you'll get answers to any repair question that can come up. MikeD74T

Last edited:
   / Please help with my 600 Ford #7  
Sorry for not being clear enough on this Tractor problem, let me try again. The starter is enguaging properly. The fan is turning, the distribator rotor is turning, I can pull out a spark plug and feel something going on that is some sucking and very little blowing. sometimes it will pop a little.

Teddy, it sounds like all your valves are stuck. Is there a chance the oil passage to the rocker arm is plugged? It has been my experience that even with bad rings, when you turn over the engine with your finger in a spark plug hole, it will lift your finger. You won't be able to hold back the pressure. I think your valves are sticking. I'd say you need to take the valve cover off and have a look.

/ Please help with my 600 Ford #8  
I have to agree with jinman.. pul the rocker cover to get an idea of what is and is not moving.

a cheap compression tester can be had from harbor freight for under 20$.. it's a good tool to have even if you only use it a few times.

post back what you find.

soundguy

/ Please help with my 600 Ford #9  
Since it was running smoothly at first, do you think it likely that the valve train
is the problem? I would think much more simply at first...

distro
timing... etc.

/ Please help with my 600 Ford #10  
valves just sometimes stick... timing changes much less often with an engine with timing gears.. unless you have some real problems in the distrib.

soundguy