Selling Ford 8N (1940s) - what's it worth?

/ Selling Ford 8N (1940s) - what's it worth? #1  

psuedofarmer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK55 Cab, 3 NHs (from 40-90HP)
Can anyone help me figure out a fair price for this tractor? I know nothing about it, other than it's a late 1940s (based on info from previous owner); loads of new parts/paint. haven't tried to start it yet (has been sitting in the barn for a few years).

All original manuals and service records available.

Need to sell it to make room in the barn.

Thx
pf

/ Selling Ford 8N (1940s) - what's it worth? #2  
pics would help, but if it is in decent shape and will run i would say $1500-$2000. thats what they fetch here in my neck of the woods. if its a 40's model, it might be a 2N.

/ Selling Ford 8N (1940s) - what's it worth? #3  
if its a 40's model, it might be a 2N.

A '40's model could be ANY of the N seires.. 9n, 2n, or 8n... 9n thru 41, 2n thru 47, 48-52 for 8n.

soundguy

/ Selling Ford 8N (1940s) - what's it worth? #4  
Can anyone help me figure out a fair price for this tractor? I know nothing about it, other than it's a late 1940s (based on info from previous owner); loads of new parts/paint. haven't tried to start it yet (has been sitting in the barn for a few years).

All original manuals and service records available.

Need to sell it to make room in the barn.

Thx
pf

look on the engine, left side.. above the starter.. blow the head, aft of the oil canister.. you will find a 1x4 flattened boss with extremely light hand stamped sn. all 9n/2n start with 9n.. 8n start with 8n.

be advised that any N engine will fit any N chassie.. this includes industrial N engines made for gensets, water pumps and early jeeps / delivery vehicles... so you can't go on engine sn unless it appears to agree with other age related markers.. like radius rod design, trans.. etc..

post pics and the sn.

soundguy

/ Selling Ford 8N (1940s) - what's it worth?
Thanks for the replies - attaching a pic, will take some more tonight showing more of the tractor. Will also poke around for the serial number to see exactly what model it is..

Cheers.

pf

Attachments

• ford_tractor.jpg
    ford_tractor.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 6,214
   / Selling Ford 8N (1940s) - what's it worth? #6  
The red paint, floorboards and brakes on the same side indicate it is an 8n. If the distributer is on the side , then I think it would be at least a 50 model. If it has the proofmeter (tach), then it would be the 51 or 52 and worth the most money, probably in the 2500 - 3000 neighborhood if you get it running good, 1500 - 2000, not running.

/ Selling Ford 8N (1940s) - what's it worth? #7  
side pics will help id year.. as would engine sn, if it matches other chassie cues.

soundguy

/ Selling Ford 8N (1940s) - what's it worth? #8  
Learned the basics of driving on either an 8 or 9 N Ford. My Grandpa had me out on pretty tough ground at 12 Y.O. with a 5' brush hog, typical crappy Ford brakes. My buddy grew up driving thr same tractor, but the pedals were all in the wrong places. Who had the 9 N, who had yhe 8 N?. My Grandpas' had the clutch on the left, brake pedals on the right, buddies Grandpas' tractor had left brake pedal on left side, inboard pedal on ridht side was clutch, and outboard pedal was right brake, Ran an early 60s' MF that had the same basic setup for a couple of years.Anybody who is what?

/ Selling Ford 8N (1940s) - what's it worth? #9  
In my neck of the woods, a non-running Ford would fetch something like $1250 -1500. Sad to hear that you need to sell it. But it would be to your benefit to get it at least running as it would add about $1000 to the value.

/ Selling Ford 8N (1940s) - what's it worth? #10  
Learned the basics of driving on either an 8 or 9 N Ford. My Grandpa had me out on pretty tough ground at 12 Y.O. with a 5' brush hog, typical crappy Ford brakes. My buddy grew up driving thr same tractor, but the pedals were all in the wrong places. Who had the 9 N, who had yhe 8 N?. My Grandpas' had the clutch on the left, brake pedals on the right, buddies Grandpas' tractor had left brake pedal on left side, inboard pedal on ridht side was clutch, and outboard pedal was right brake, Ran an early 60s' MF that had the same basic setup for a couple of years.Anybody who is what?

ford brakes work fine when adjusted and serviced.

oily wet non adjusted or worn brakes on any make / model will be bad.

I can lock up rear tires and spin around at the end of a row with crappy ford brakes that are in good repair.

it's more a matter of crappy maintenance!

soundguy