Ford 821 12v battery options?

/ Ford 821 12v battery options? #1  

TalonX

I have an 821 with a diesel and a cracked battery. I took the monster in to the New Holland dealership to get the replacement for it and they looked at me like I had 3 heads especially when they went to look up the battery and -insisted- that the 801 series didn't come with 12v charge systems according to their computer program. Anyway, New Holland is looking at an excessively long time to get me an appropriate battery but I'd sure like to get the tractor running before Christmas. What are my options as far as replacement batteries of the correct size and cranking amperage goes? I haven't really called around because I don't have a model number for the battery and I'm sure I'll be faced with the same half hour argument that the battery I have did indeed come out of the tractor I say it did, so if I could even have that I'd appreciate it!

/ Ford 821 12v battery options? #2  
I had an 841 diesel that was 12 volts right from day one. It used two 6 volt batteries in series. I never found any 12 volt battery that fit perfectly in the battery box. MikeD74T

/ Ford 821 12v battery options?
Mine had one that fit perfectly, it's the biggest battery I've seen. The 2 6v option is probably a heck of a lot cheaper though, New Holland wants $280.

/ Ford 821 12v battery options? #4  
01 diesel units were 12v from the start.

I'm not sure of the size of the battery box on an 01 diesel, but would think it can't be any smaller on a gasser.

in my gasser 172ci engines, I have a 951 with a grp 26.. it's never given me a problem starting.. even though that battery is what i considder small with 450cca.. my 850 has a grp 58 in it.. heftier battery.. cca inthe upper 500's.. also never a moments hesitation on starting and a 172 gas engine.. a quick tape measuring shows a grp 78 will fit in in place of that 58 in my 850.. it's almost 1000cca. I have used that 78DT ( megatron by interstate ) on that 850 as a temp battery before..it's tight.. but fits. Again... not sure what the diesel battery box dimensions are... i'd stay away from the shallow end of the gene pool when it comes to turning over that 172cube diesel.. IE.. try to get better than the grp 26 wimpy 450cca battery.

soundguy

I have an 821 with a diesel and a cracked battery. I took the monster in to the New Holland dealership to get the replacement for it and they looked at me like I had 3 heads especially when they went to look up the battery and -insisted- that the 801 series didn't come with 12v charge systems according to their computer program. Anyway, New Holland is looking at an excessively long time to get me an appropriate battery but I'd sure like to get the tractor running before Christmas. What are my options as far as replacement batteries of the correct size and cranking amperage goes? I haven't really called around because I don't have a model number for the battery and I'm sure I'll be faced with the same half hour argument that the battery I have did indeed come out of the tractor I say it did, so if I could even have that I'd appreciate it!

/ Ford 821 12v battery options? #5  
here's a link to a BCI battery chart indicating battery dimensions.. measure your box and see what fits.

BCI Battery Group Size Chart

soundguy

/ Ford 821 12v battery options?
Thanks a lot for the info. The dimensions of the battery (which I assume is a stock replacement) in the diesel is 16"X7.5"X11.25". It's a beast. Napa couldn't help so right now I'm using a battery out of a neighbors semi that fits in the battery tray a bit loose but it works with a jerry rigged hold down.
Getting the battery in and out of the tractor requires quite a bit of effort also due to the configuration of the front loader one of the previous owners put on it. There is a bar welded right in the middle of where you'd extract the battery from the tractor so I had to take off the body work and move the fuel tank in order to get out. I'm debating as to whether to put the bodywork back on until the 'good' battery arrives at New Holland in 3-4 weeks.

/ Ford 821 12v battery options? #7  
Almost sounds like a 4dlt battery size.. though i don't hav eone handy to measure. thought they were longer.

big suckers.. i hate changing them.. make sthe back hurt!

good luck

soundguy

/ Ford 821 12v battery options? #8  
The battery from a semi is likely a group 31. If so, shim it in the box and be happy. Because of the millions of units in service, group 31 batteries are usually the best bang for the buck in the lead-acid battery world. Usually at or near 1000 CCA and $100.