861 Ford Problems

/ 861 Ford Problems #1  

kf4uda

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TD5030, 861 Ford Powermaster, CaseIH Farmall 35A, 555A Ford Backhoe, S150x SnapperPro ZTR, Polaris Ranger XP800
I have a 1958 861 Ford (gas). When I go to use the tractor I start it and let it warm up a little before moving. The tractor usually starts fairly easily but will sometimes die after running for a minute or so. It is then very hard to start again. Over the last couple of years I have replaced points,condenser, cap and plug wires. Several years ago I replaced the original carb with the Zenith replacement (which has never seemed just right to me). This acts like a fuel problem but I am not sure. Anybody got any ideas?

/ 861 Ford Problems #2  
I'd go with a fuel problem too! Thing is, what is the problem, to much fuel or two little.

/ 861 Ford Problems #3  
put the crystal ball away and quit guessing.

next time it dies, pull a plug wire and have a spare plug available.. check spark.. if it has good spark, move on to fuel.

pull the bowl drain and see if it is a fuel stoppage at the tank tap.. or perhaps something inthe float valve / needle / seat.

I don't care much for the zenith.. but a working carb is a working carb.

if it is a fuel issue, a lil choke will likely help it, and thus help diagnose it.

also.. clean the points.. pull a piece of white paper thru them.. plus check their gap.. too close and they will start to burn.. to far apart and you get weak spark.

that machine is gapped at .025 on points and plugs.

post back.

soundguy

/ 861 Ford Problems
Your right Soundguy. My crystal ball never worked anyway. Hopefully I will have some time this weekend to check a little deeper. Thanks for the advice.

/ 861 Ford Problems #5  
let us know what you find and we can continue diagnosing it and hopefully get you going again.

soundguy

/ 861 Ford Problems
I ran the tractor a few hours this weekend using a landscape rake. Before doing so I replaced the spark plugs. They were very black (sooty) indicating a rich mixture I think. I did not have any problem starting it. I did notice that it sputters some when you throttle up real quick.

/ 861 Ford Problems #7  
If it's sooty and stumbles.. it's possibly flooding out.

soundguy

/ 861 Ford Problems #9  
too much main needle.. poorly adjusted flaot.. bad seat.. etc..