Another 8n side mount

/ Another 8n side mount #1  

8NLUGNUT

Silver Member
Tractor
Several Fords, four Japanese tractors
I picked up another sidemount project tractor yesterday.

It been converted to 12volt. It doesn't run but I did get spark so I'll work from there.

I found two things right off that I had questions about.

The first was a ballast, switch type looking thingy mounted below the distributor.

My guess it's a 6 volt light switch?

The other is a temp gauge mounted in the dash. It has a very long wire that's folded over a few times.

I'm wondering if I'll be able to shorten it?

Wish me luck!

Attachments

• DSCN1050.JPG
    DSCN1050.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 321
  • DSCN1046.JPG
    DSCN1046.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 273
  • DSCN1045.JPG
    DSCN1045.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 337
  • DSCN1044.JPG
    DSCN1044.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 282
   / Another 8n side mount #2  
most temp gauges use a capilary tube and it cannot be cut.. if your auge instead uses an electric sender and a plain wire.. then yes.. it can be cut.. my guess is you have a capilary tube type.

the ballast resister you see near the distrib was the prev owners fix for using hte 6v side mount coil on 12v. loose the resistor and instead install a real 12v coil like a 16$ NAPA IC14SB.. that is, if you intend to stay 12v.. etc.

soundguy

/ Another 8n side mount
I got a big start on evaluating the tractor as best I could and fixing the obvious stuff.

1. cleaned points
2. new cap and rotor cap
3. checked plug wires, need to be replaced
4. put in 437's had 215's?
5. cleaned out carb
6. cleaned and rebuilt sediment bowl
7. tank was dry so I blew it out with air
8. put in a few gallons with no fuel leaks seen
9. put in motor oil

When I finally decided to start it up it started with a little bit of choke and purred. It smoked for a few minutes and then the exhaust ran clear for the 30 minutes I ran it. I'll be watching for that smoke next time I start it.

Stuff I need to work on.

1. The lift comes up very slowly as in about two minutes and will not lift my 270lbs nor will it hold it up.

I did not change out the fluid yet.

2. the amp meter stayed in discharge the entire time I ran the motor staying constant no matter what the rpm was. I did not put a meter to it yet.

3. Temp did not function. that line is part of the birdsnest that I need to reroute.

I was very happy that the clutch worked well and all the gears sounded and felt good.

It was a good tractor day.

Soundguy,

I think you're right about the temp gauge type.

On the resistor, it is no longer wired. It looks like it's been that way for years.
The alternator has a label on it saying 1 WIRE. My guess is that some one had bought a conversion kit at some point. I sure don't like their wiring work though. I'll pick that all apart and redo it when I can.

/ Another 8n side mount #4  
put a meter on it to see if it is charging.. the prev owner may not have reversed the wire(s) at the ammeter, and that discharge may be a charge.. or the POS 1-wire alternator don't work ( free test at auto store ).

do make sure you are negative ground.. etc.

do find out if you have a 12v coil.. or you will need a resistor ( or a real 12v coil )

lift is easy to test.. make sure it has oil, remove plug on bottom right front corner of pump/belly base at your right heel.. put in a gauge that has an orb fitting.. chain upper lift arms to axle, then run lift up.. should be able to get 1500-1700 psi.. if not pull the dipstick side cover and look for leaks.. could be relief or top/bottom gasket.. heck..stand pipe and chamber gaskets as well.

soundguy

/ Another 8n side mount
the prev owner may not have reversed the wire(s) at the ammeter, and that discharge may be a charge.. I think your gonna be right about that.

do make sure you are negative ground.. etc.
Will do.

do find out if you have a 12v coil.. or you will need a resistor ( or a real 12v coil ) Will do.

lift is easy to test.. make sure it has oil, remove plug on bottom right front corner of pump/belly base at your right heel.. put in a gauge that has an orb fitting.. chain upper lift arms to axle, then run lift up.. should be able to get 1500-1700 psi.. if not pull the dipstick side cover and look for leaks.. could be relief or top/bottom gasket.. heck..stand pipe and chamber gaskets as well.
This will be a learning experience for me. I don't even have gauge for that that I know of.

soundguy

I'll keep you posted.

/ Another 8n side mount
I needed to add an important item for a tractor that's sat up for two years.

I put oil in the distributor oil cap. I did not oil the shaft yet.

/ Another 8n side mount
I put on copper core wires today.

The amp meter and temp gauge are nonfunctional.

The gear oil was at level but had a lot of water sloshing around in it so before I do anything else I'll heat it up real good and drain it over night and put in some new oil.

/ Another 8n side mount
I got my lift working today. I'm embarrassed to say how easy it was.:eek: Still needs work though. It pulses on the way up, raised and held the six foot blade, then took about 30 minutes to bleed down from high position with the motor off. It will do for now.

I think she's gonna like her new home. She sure ain't feeling neglected anymore.:)

Attachments

• DSCN0046.JPG
    DSCN0046.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 461
  • DSCN1052.JPG
    DSCN1052.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
   / Another 8n side mount #9  
sounds like your hyds are about as good as probbaly 80% of others.. holding 30m is great.. pulsing going up on a heavy load and a lil knocking is indicative of normal wear...worry more when it stops knocking..

soundguy

/ Another 8n side mount #10  
Hey there 8N, the 8N i had was always in the disgharge on the gauge also. Never had any trouble starting it though.........you are more than likely right about not changing the wires around......good luck with the tractor....Don