Ford Industrial backhoe / loader

/ Ford Industrial backhoe / loader
Yes, thats what it looks like! thanks for posting that photo, Rick. And thanks for the tutorial, Tim. I will try it later when I get a picture if my own tractor.

Mark

Curious, one of you happen to know where I can find out what fluid to use in the transmission? It is a manual trans; has a separate reservoir for the loader.

Would it be best to use 80-90wt gear oil? Or universal tractor fluid?

I'm not sure what to add, its low and I want to add...

thanks

Mark

/ Ford Industrial backhoe / loader #13  
in most cases fluid meeting M2C134D spec is fine in all sumps but the engine ( and hyd brakes ).

soundguy

soundguy,

thankyou for your response -

Sorry for my ignorance on this..

I just want to be sure that you are aware / familiar with what my transmission is: MANUAL (4sp) w/ Sherman aux.

the product you mentioned sounds more like a ATF type product, but again, I am ignorant re the fluids req'd.

thanks
MArk

/ Ford Industrial backhoe / loader #15  
It's a UTF product.. ( universal tractor fluid ) not an ATF product.. I've got plenty of ford 4spds at my house.. and a 3spd with a sherman.. 3 5speeds, and a few 8 speeds.

soundguy

/ Ford Industrial backhoe / loader #16  
Thanks, Soundguy-

I didn't think it was there at first, due to 'couple layers of paint.

There are two lines of numbers; top line:

1821-S

bottom line:

<>63559<>

One uncertain digit is the 'dash' in the upper line; it looks as though the person stamping the numbers used a "1" layed on it's side as a dash. Could it have been a mistake, and was intened to be a "1"? Which would make the top line read: 18211S.

Thanks to anybody that can de-code the numbers for me.

Mark
I have 1821, (broke apart replacing clutch) let me know if I can help
you.. not expert, but have been around this tractor from time to time since it was new in 1959.. I now own it, and in process of getting it up and running again.. I HOPE!! ;-)

/ Ford Industrial backhoe / loader #17  
I have 1821, (broke apart replacing clutch) let me know if I can help
you.. not expert, but have been around this tractor from time to time since it was new in 1959.. I now own it, and in process of getting it up and running again.. I HOPE!! ;-)

Hi smitn. Welcome to TBN.

This thread has me interested what the front of the 1821 tractor looks like. I was unable to find a picture online.
If you would take a picture and post it I'd appreciate it. Thanks.....

/ Ford Industrial backhoe / loader #18  
post #10 has a pretty good depiction..

soundguy

Smitn,

great to hear from you, another HD Industrial Ford tractor owner!

Lucky for me, the previous owner already replaced the clutch. My tractor has been sitting (indoors) for years, unused, but started occasionally.

I knew the previous owner who had the machine since the 60's; I have owned if for a couple years.

I am trying to get it back into running / operating condition also.

Mine is a backhoe / loader model, both of which are original equipment. The tractor is older than i thought, as I was told here that it was a 1959. I thought it was mid to late 60's.

COOL, though, since I was born in 1959!

Any thoughts as to the hydrolics on your tractor? I have been told that the Ford fittings are impossible to find; most have gone with JIC ftgs. Don't know what i will do when a hose blows. P.O. cut the Ford fitting in two, then brazed a JIC fitting so as to make the repair!...

Is that what I will be looking at??

thanks

Mark

/ Ford Industrial backhoe / loader #20  
are you talking about banjo fittings?

soundguy