Ford Industrial backhoe / loader

/ Ford Industrial backhoe / loader #1  

Big Hammer

Bronze Member
Can somebody help me out in determining the year and model of this machine?!!

I have owned it for a couple of years; been sitting in the shop for the last 20 or so years. Previous owner started it occasionally.

I think it to be a mid to late 60s' machine. The only numbers I could find on the castings are:

310835 (cast into the right side of trans)
312480 (cast into the left side of trans)
313349 (cast into a body part below dash / steering wheel)

The tractor is in what seems to be good condittion. Previous owner purchased it in 1969 to to develope the property to build on. I bought the property along with the tractor (which had been in storage for the last 20+ years).

For an industrial model, it has had very low hours of use for the last 40 yrs. I want to put it back into limited service and would like to find out more about this tractor.

The loader and backhoe look to be original equipment. The loader has a tag which reads I9-I3I SN 3035

This is a 4 cyl gas model, I think to be around 50 HP (?)

Anybody familiar with this machine?

Thanks!

Mark

/ Ford Industrial backhoe / loader
After doing a serious web search, I beleive it to be a 1801 series, possibly a 4140 or a 4040.

I sure would like to get more info on this thing! Anybody out there got one...?

thanks

Mark

/ Ford Industrial backhoe / loader #3  
almost all fords after 1952 have the id info stamped into the bellhousing flattened boss aft of the starter..

soundguy

Thanks, Soundguy-

I didn't think it was there at first, due to 'couple layers of paint.

There are two lines of numbers; top line:

1821-S

bottom line:

<>63559<>

One uncertain digit is the 'dash' in the upper line; it looks as though the person stamping the numbers used a "1" layed on it's side as a dash. Could it have been a mistake, and was intened to be a "1"? Which would make the top line read: 18211S.

Thanks to anybody that can de-code the numbers for me.

Mark

/ Ford Industrial backhoe / loader #6  
Someone is selling a parts manual over on e-bay.
Here's a picture of the cover.

Attachments

• fordtractor2.jpg
    fordtractor2.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 817
Thanks Tim,

Its not that one, though. Pretty sure it is a 60

...pretty sure it is a 60's model year. Has a different grill altogether. Real heavy duty model with headlights in the grill and F O R D emblem is vertically displayed.

I think it is a 4140 or a 4040 since it does not have the cable type steering mechanism that the 1801's have. Has power steering.

I have a picture I would like to post - if I can figure out how to do it...

thanks!

Mark

/ Ford Industrial backhoe / loader #9  
Big Hammer;1756961 I have a picture I would like to post - if I can figure out how to do it... Mark[/QUOTE said:
1st: download picture to your pc
2nd: click on the "quote" button on this post (right lower) or "post reply" on this thread. (not quick reply)
3rd: scroll down to "manage attachments" button and click.
4th: click on (one of the) "browse" on top of attachments window
5th: another window will come up, find your picture in the file you saved it in.
6th: double click on it
7th: click on "upload" button just below browse buttons.(in manage attachments window)
8th: click on "preview post" button
9th: you should see your pic as a thumbnail pic.

Hope this helps.

/ Ford Industrial backhoe / loader #10  
...pretty sure it is a 60's model year. Has a different grill altogether. Real heavy duty model with headlights in the grill and F O R D emblem is vertically displayed.

I think it is a 4140 or a 4040 since it does not have the cable type steering mechanism that the 1801's have. Has power steering.

I have a picture I would like to post - if I can figure out how to do it...

thanks!

Mark

The serial number makes it an early 1959 model.

The model number decodes to:

1 = industrial
8 = 172 ci engine
2 = 4-speed trans/no 3-pt/no pto
1 = 01 series
-S = sherman aux transmission

It would have looked something like this from the factory:

a6875.jpg

There are a few gurus on the Ford tractor board at YTMAG than can tell you more.