Ford 8N, 2N Steering Slop

/ Ford 8N, 2N Steering Slop #1  

Bert Bitter

Tractor
Ford @n, M600 Bobcat, Allis 45
Anyone know how to tighten up the slop in a N series Ford tractor steering sector??

No help in the manual and there doesn't seem to be an obvious way externally. The only way I could think of without a complete disassemble was to somehow adjust the steering column up or down.

Thanks
Bert

/ Ford 8N, 2N Steering Slop #2  
The service manual CERTAINTLY DOES have very detailed instructions for working on the steering box.

now.. from 2n to 8n, there will be 3 different steering setups.. one very different than the other 2.

the 9n/2n uses a box that is integral to the trans cover.. the early 8n uses a design that has round sector covers and you rotate the round covers to try to snug up the sector backlash. the later 8n box has adjuster studs and locknuts that you adjust to take up sector back lash.

if your steering wheel moves up and down you likely have worn thrust bearings

I suggest you get an I&T fo-4 service manual.. it has detailed info on rebuilding these boxes... I've rebuilt many ford manual steering boxes.. most of the work is getting the tin off, and dash / battery box out of the way so you can actually get to the box and column.

first of al.. you need to decide what you have.. a 9n/2n or an early 8n with round sector covers.. or later 8n with oval sector covers.. then you need to decide if it is a backlash or thrust bearing issue.

soundguy