861 Hydraulic Steering Issue

/ 861 Hydraulic Steering Issue #1  

vicashoe

Tractor
Ford 860
I have a Ford 861 with hydraulic steering. The steering works fine when the reservoir is filled. Problem is that it constantly leaks out from the O-ring seals shortly after they are replaced. The pump is a 03C03 I believe. I found a parts breakdown on a New Holland web page and do not know what else there is to seal this tank. Any suggestions will help. I tried silicone, extra fiber gaskets, larger O-ring gaskets but it will leak in a very short period of time after the "fix" is made. With the loader on it is very difficult to keep replacing these O-rings

Last edited:
   / 861 Hydraulic Steering Issue #2  
hyd steering?

do you mean power steering?

can you visually see the leak?

soundguy

/ 861 Hydraulic Steering Issue
The steering is hydraulic assist steering I am told. I see that the leak is between the tank and the pump. I thought it may be caused by the shaft seal but no luck.

/ 861 Hydraulic Steering Issue #4  
sure.. assist.. but not straight hydaulic or hydrostatic like with an orbital steering valve.

have you pulled it apart for a loksee to check the housing?

soundguy

/ 861 Hydraulic Steering Issue #6  
Do not expect that pump to work since it was not in use before the tractor was parted out.

those were kind of add on units by Ford and leaking was one thing they did well the best I remember. We never had one with PS on it. They were more common on the Select-O-Speed models (Ford's first clutchless transmission) the best I remember.

There must be some company that will recondition these old pumps. There is a good chance Ford outsourced them.

/ 861 Hydraulic Steering Issue #7  
if the housings are cut into.. they are almost un-rebuildable.. but you can for sure find repalcements.

soundguy

/ 861 Hydraulic Steering Issue
Thank you all for your help. I have to just find the right sealer that hydraulic fluid will not seep through. Maybe a gas tank sealer will do the trick.

/ 861 Hydraulic Steering Issue #9  
I'd put that at about a 5% possibility of working, using a sealer.. etc...

once the housings are damaged.. repair is by replacement.

good luck on your parts search.

soundguy