Best disc for Ford 2N

/ Best disc for Ford 2N #1  

dumberthandirt

HI,
I have a recently overhauled Ford 2N tractor.I would like to know what disc harrow would be considered the the best brand, size and type for my tractor. I hope that after my sweetcorn crop comes off this year to disc and sow oats. Allow oats to winterkill, then in the spring, disc in the oat residue and replant more sweetcorn. I would appreciate both your suggestions on the disc and cultural practice that I intent to use.
Thanks,
Mark

/ Best disc for Ford 2N #2  
6.5' dual ganged disc pull well with an N.

I like the heavier ( more $ ) box frame disc.. they are usually adjustable, and weight more than the lighter ( less $ ) angle iron frame.. though either will do.. you will likely want to ballast either of them. the lighter one obviously a lil more.

keep them greased well and often. some are sealed bearing style.. some are the old grey iron bearings... the more grease the better ont he older bearing styles.

brand? eh.. not important.

soundguy

/ Best disc for Ford 2N #3  
If you will not need to move the disc often over the road, an old pull-type may be a good option. An 8-footer would be perfect size for the 9n and I would recommend a JD or Bissel brand. It takes me about 1/2 the fuel to get my ground ready to plant with an 8 ft JD pull-type disc than it did with the 6.5 ft Dearborn/Ford 3-point I used prior. The pull-type disc does less work, accounting for less fuel, but all the work is "good work" contributing directly towards preparing the ground with minimum required passes. The rigid frame of a 3-point disc prevents uniform soil contact on all sections and results in some ground getting worked real deep (lots of fuel required), and other areas not even getting touched on each pass. You should have little trouble locating a decent pull-type disc for under $500. I paid $100 for mine last spring and the previous owners threw in a couple 3-section drags along with it. My Ford 8N handles this 8-footer with ease, but it overloads my 20 hp Allis Chalmers C slightly when set at the most aggressive angle.