FORD 851 Powermaster

/ FORD 851 Powermaster #1  

leftybob

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford-1100- New Holland 1720 - JD-345- JD-425- Cub Cadet- 1863
I have been looking at an 851 but don't know much about them. What is the horsepower? and are the easy to maintain? I have a 8n and I know this is a different engine. Also the pump is in front of the cluch. It has a new paint job and new rear tires. Haven't heard it run yet or got to drive it maybe when it quits raining. Asking price is $4500. He is a Mahindra dealer and has other old Ford tractors on his lot so will probably take a trade in.

/ FORD 851 Powermaster #2  
That 851 was a nice tractor in its day and collectable now. Soundguy can give you intimate details, However I think at around 48 HP and the way it is priced, If can get $1500 on the 8N trade in, that wouldn't be too bad of a deal. Ken Sweet

/ FORD 851 Powermaster #3  
the tractor is between a 57 to 62 model and does not have a live pto if it is a 851 it is 32hp at the drawbar and 42hp at the pto and has a five speed transmission

and like he said if they will give 1500 for ur 8n 4500 would not be a bad deal

/ FORD 851 Powermaster
Thanks so much for your reply's. I'll take another look at tomorrow.

/ FORD 851 Powermaster #5  
the info the others gave you is correct.. 5 speed, and about 45 pto hp.

trans is a funny up down/fore/aft shifter/

top gate is 3/R
middle is 2/1
and bottom is 5/4

hyds on all the 4 cyl fords from53 64 is from a pump on the right side of hte engine driven by the cam.

4500$ is way too much $$ I've never paid over 3500$ for any 00/01 series machine.. and to pay 3500$ it would have to be in otherwise great condition.

without seeing it.. tires and oil pressure and tins.. average price on an average 851 should be closer to about 2500-3000$

soundguy

/ FORD 851 Powermaster #6  
yea every one i ever sold was between 2000-3000 dollars but if is in good shape and he can get 1500 for his 8n it might be a good deal

/ FORD 851 Powermaster #7  
yea every one i ever sold was between 2000-3000 dollars but if is in good shape and he can get 1500 for his 8n it might be a good deal

I doubt a dealer will give him 1500$ for an N.. that's what they are selling for ( asking price anyway.. might be going for less.. ) around here anyway.. meaning a 'dealer' taking a trade in likely won't give hem more than 1000$ since he will want to make some profit from it via resell.

If it's a great 851, and his dealer would take 3500$,( and that's the max I'd ever pay for that class of machine.. and it would have to be pristine and have good options like tires and whatnot.. ) and give him 1000$ credit from the N, making his out of pocket 2500$ I'd pull the trigger and never miss the 8n a single moment.

soundguy

/ FORD 851 Powermaster #8  
i doubt it also but we never know that dealer just might wont a 8n but i know i wouldn't give 1500 for one and i like the little tractors

and you are right we sell them around here for about 1500 tops unless i got one that is really nice are is completely origanil like the one in my avatar which is still 6 volt and has never been repainted and has all the orginal style rims

/ FORD 851 Powermaster #9  
It just depends on the condition of the 8N, I see them bring $2500 pretty regular here in Ky at consignment sales. That would be a nice one with new or almost new tires, everything works and no shade tree mechanic paint job. Just solid and clean. Junkers and smokers will bring $1000. Ken Sweet

/ FORD 851 Powermaster #10  
yea but most people that ownes one thinks they can paint it with a paint brush and make it worth more than if they just leave it alone which they would be better off just leaving it alone and i have sold them that had a show worthy paint job and new tires for 3000 and i sold the one in my avatar for 3500