ford 1000 alternator

/ ford 1000 alternator #1  

Don Mitchell

Tractor
1975 Ford 1000
I have made a search wasn't able to find out any information. I have a 1976 ford 1000 tractor with a defective alternator. Brand is Hitachi. Has anyone found a source for a replacement or used another alternator? I would be most interested in any information about this.
Thank you,
Don Mitchell

/ ford 1000 alternator #2  
You should be able to find one at NAPA. You could also check with a local starter/alternator repair shop. I have one locally that I use for all my electrical parts needs. You want someone who really knows the business and not just how to look up parts.

/ ford 1000 alternator
Thanks Jim. I will try your suggestions.
Don

/ ford 1000 alternator #4  
if that unit doesn't pull tach off the alternator, you could also repalce it with a delco 10/12 SI style.. though I might prefer to simply have it rebuilt.. etc.

soundguy

/ ford 1000 alternator #5  
I didn't know that ford used alternators with tach drives. I knew that they did on the older diesels with generators which dissuaded many people, myself included, from changing to an alternator. The charging system could be a royal pain if you let my old 3000 set too long without using it. Learned to use a burnishing tool to clean the contacts on the regulator. Great tractor, but didn't like the Lucas electronics.:)

Jim

/ ford 1000 alternator #6  
my 7610s has tach off the alt... not a mechanical drive.. but a pickup.

PS.. a 10DN alternator could be bougbht with a mechanical tach drive if you really wanted to replace a genny... spendy though.

soundguy

/ ford 1000 alternator #7  
my 7610s has tach off the alt... not a mechanical drive.. but a pickup.

PS.. a 10DN alternator could be bougbht with a mechanical tach drive if you really wanted to replace a genny... spendy though.

soundguy

Thanks, I guess that I just never noticed. In the early 90s I maintained two 6610s, a 3910 and a 2910 for a landscape operation. Those were pretty basic tractors and almost trouble free. We did have to replace a couple of radius arms as I recall. Of course that was from operator abuse.

I sold the 3000 four years ago when I bought my JD 4320 E-hydro 4x4. Perfect machine for mowing.

Jim