8N CArb problems

/ 8N CArb problems #1  

webbeewood

Tractor
1947 Ford 8N
I have a 1947 8N, with a front mounted distributor. I've read all through the archives, and can't find much info on carb problems. I normally take the carb apart every year, and clean it good with carb cleaner. I know to do this when I have to choke it a little to smooth out the engine. I mowed my field the other day, then put in new points and plugs, and cleaned the carb. I mowed about an hour, with the motor running fine. It started raining, so I pulled it up by the barn and shut it down. Now, it won't start again. I've had the carb of and apart 3 times, and the front mounted distriburator off twice. I'm not getting any fuel to the cylinders, but the carb is flooding a little, when I crank with the choke out. I checked the cylinder pressure, and it's about 85 pounds. Anyone else have any ideas?:confused:

/ 8N CArb problems
OK, I hooked my Gator to my 8N, and pulled it about 50 feet, in 3rd gear, and it started. It was kind of weak at first, but roared to life, like it usually runs. I hooked my bushhog to it, and mowed about 2 acres. It runs fine, but I haven't tried to re-start it again. I out some Gumout Carb cleaner in the tank. because I thought I may have some water problems. Continued after lunch,,,,:)

/ 8N CArb problems #3  
One of the better ways to start an 8N. Back when most folks used the crank or a team of horses.:laughing::thumbsup:

Fourth gear will probably work better for pull starting.:thumbsup:

/ 8N CArb problems #4  
post back so we can see if it is a fluke or a symptom.

soundguy

/ 8N CArb problems
post back so we can see if it is a fluke or a symptom.

soundguy

I went to town and bought a "rebuild" kit for the carb, and tore it down and replaced everything in the carb, except the choke rod and spring. It didn't look bad, so I left it alone. I put the carb back on, and started cranking. It fired on one cylinder, but nothing else. I sprayed starting fluid in the carb, to no avail. so I thought I would pull the manifold and look for cracks. My wife came out to tell me lunch was ready, so I had her hit the button while I was playing with the choke. I put my palm over the end of the carb and the engine fired right up. I mowed about a half hour, shut it down, and tried to start it again, with no luck. I'll pull the carb tomorrow and change the rod on the choke, but I still can't see how that would keep a warm engine from starting.

/ 8N CArb problems
One of the better ways to start an 8N. Back when most folks used the crank or a team of horses.:laughing::thumbsup:

Fourth gear will probably work better for pull starting.:thumbsup:

I used to have an old F 20 Farmall, and hand cranking was the only way to start it. It was a bear in cold weather!

/ 8N CArb problems #7  
choke packing is still before the throttle butterfly.. so.. I don't see a good relation to the problem.

hows spark look?

hows compression?

soundguy

/ 8N CArb problems #8  
I used to have an old F 20 Farmall, and hand cranking was the only way to start it. It was a bear in cold weather!

Back when a lot of tractors were started with the crank as batteries were not the best. Also electricity was not always available so charging the battery was out. Hot Ashes under the oil pan helped.:thumbsup:

Back on topic: Use some caution when spraying fluids into a carburetor when trying to start the engine. Backfires can result in fires and even damage to the person doing the spraying.:D

Have you done any adjusting on the carb jets?

/ 8N CArb problems
This is another "not so good day". 8N wouldn't start this morning, so I pulled the carb back off, (I'm getting really fast at this!) and took the screws out of the butterfly on the choke. There's a little flap door, that looks like it stays open when the choke is on, so I turned it over and put the carb back on. It fired a couple times, the gas started running out of the mouth of the carb. I pulled a spark plug, and it was dry. I put the plug back in, put my hand over the mouth of the carb and hit the button. It fired right up. I'm really puzzled! I'm checking websites to see how much the governor has to do with things, since while I was mowing in really tall grass, and it didn't seem to be working.

/ 8N CArb problems #10  
you are getting ahead of yourself and perhaps causing more problems.

the lil flap onn the choke is SUPOSED to open facing in to let SOME air in when you are on full choke.

do a comp test.

also.. did you replace the throttle butterfly packing? that can cause a vacume leak.. so can that multi-re-used carb gasket.

manually pull on the throttle rod tot he butterfly and see if the governor fights you and snatches it back.

soundguy