modify 9n 3-point for downforce?

/ modify 9n 3-point for downforce? #1  

gears351

Tractor
Ford 9N
Alright, I've got my parts tractor torn down and I'm looking at the lift cyl. Is there a reason I can't mount a double acting hyd cylinder under that plate and attach it to the lift arms, cobble another control valve for flow, and get workable downforce?

I'd plug the transfer port through the rear end casing and run separate hydraulic lines - internally or externally - to the new cylinder......

Am I unreasonable? I use my 9 for digging with a slipscoop so downforce would be really nice. Besides, the lift cyl has leaky rings anyhow!

Anyone got an opinion on this?

/ modify 9n 3-point for downforce? #2  
yep.. unreasonable...

a 3pt scoop doesn't need any down force to dig. just needs proper angle and some movement. get good ballast and good rear tires.

I have a 30" scoop and have absolutely -0- problem filling it to the brim with regualt plain old 3pt setup.

the amount of work you would have to do to convert that system would be huge. a small lift cyl to mount under a modified cover.. mind you the piston diamater will be small so your lift / pull power will be DISMAL.. then you'd have to plug the output port in the lower cover by tapping threads into the port, filling with a plug, then grinding flat, or using a recessed head plug, then get fluid pressure from the side port to run your SCV.. mind you this is all from a weak 2.89gpm non live hyds pump.. otherwise you will be adding a crank driven pump, or a engine mounted pump for live pressure.

If I did that I'd leave the oem hyds alone and build a bracket that spanned the rear axle trumpets using their top studs, use that as a mount plate for an external cyl.. use a front pump or engine pump, run it's own hyd system to that rear down pressure cyl, usa a scv with a flaot setting so that you can use the oem 3pt hyds on the tractor .

soundguy

/ modify 9n 3-point for downforce? #3  
IMO If you put downforce on the scoop, you will lift the back tires up causing you to lose traction. This will hamper you dirt scooping ability.

/ modify 9n 3-point for downforce? #4  
Very, very few tractors have downforce on the 3PH. In fact NONE of the current offerings in compact tractors from any manufacturer has it. One of the main reasons is pretty simple-if you apply downforce to a 3PH mounted implement, you will unload the rear tires and reduce traction so you will just spin the tires.

/ modify 9n 3-point for downforce? #5  
Now just to give you an idea!

IH introduced two point hitch in the mid fifties, IT was a great system much like todays three point hitch quick hitches on tractors of today. The hitch only had two points and they just clicked on when you backed onto them.

They had DOWN PRESSURE!

They do make adapter kits to make them three point hitch!

So whats the problem?

Three point hitch machines are not built for down pressure!!!!!!

They tend to bend up the hitch linkages on some machines because of it!!!

/ modify 9n 3-point for downforce? #6  
the biggest problem is as has been stated.. if you have down pressure ont he hitch, you are unweighting hte rear.. thus loss of traction.. since he wants to run a ground engagement device.. that's a nono..

ballast the machine, use good tires. LEARN how to properly angle the scoop using the toplink, and then go for it... it will dig fine..

soundguy

/ modify 9n 3-point for downforce? #7  
Another thing to remember a 9N with a scoop is not a Construction type backhoe. They will move dirt, but they will not be extremely fast or efficent especially in tough dirt. You can move a lot of material though if you take your time and work at it. Like the others said you have to get it adjusted right. Sometimes just a slight adjustment in angle can make a huge difference.

/ modify 9n 3-point for downforce? #8  
I put down pressure on my homemade 3pt back blade and love it. Busy building one for the B7800. It has limitations but is much more adept at grading than just a back blade without it. It allows grading within the confines of the tractors weight and horsepower.

/ modify 9n 3-point for downforce?
That's what I needed to hear guys, thanks. I was looking at that lift cyl and thought why not just bolt and plump a double acting cylinder...

Too many ideas, not enough time.